Skin problems with my silkie showgirls

pinkykarla

In the Brooder
Aug 20, 2015
Tucson, AZ USA

2 of our showgirls have bumpy skin. They are acting fine otherwise and are not pecking eavhother. No evidence of mites or parasites. We are at a loss as to what it is.
Help!

Hopefully, someone will help you. I am not familiar with showgilrls or turkens. They appear to have dry skin. I would look them over for lice or mites, especially under the vent area, the neck and under wings. Coconut oil can be good for dry skin. Pecking can leave bumps that canget infected. Look around the coop for pressence of insects that could be biting them.

Have you found any evidence of bugs or lice? Are they pecking each other? You can try a blue dying spray called BluKote from feed stores or a bad tasting ointment such as BenGay, Vicks, or Bag Balm on the skin to help prevent pecking if that is what is happening. There are some skin lesions associated with Mareks disease. Were they vaccinated. I certainly hope that is not the problem, though. How old are they?

So, we got some disturbing news today. Apparently the breeder we got them from had birds With lymphoid leukosis. Unfortunately, it says there is no treatment and birds offer waste away before dying. Our boy has gotten very weak and wobbly in the past 24 hours. We are going to bring him to a vet to see if we can help him, but the prognosis is not good. I am so sad. He is our baby.

Azygous, another member has it in her flock, and may be able to look in on your thread for advice. I'm so sorry about that. Mareks can also cause skin lesions and tumors. If he dies, I would urge you to get a necropsy by a poultry lab or state vet. I can send you info on that if you wish. Below is a picture of skin tumors in a chicken with Mareks:

MD-019A%20x750.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom