Skin rotting on live rooster - help its nasty with graphic pics

ahh crap. so i went out and looked at him again and he looked worse. I went ahead a killed him for further examination. I will no change my response to the maggots. Or at least i think they are maggots. I checked every bird last friday. Wings, vents, skin, etc when we did the NPIP. What could have gotten him so quick. Skin was completely missing on his back and teh maggots or whatever they are where in his vent.

2011-09-09_20-28-28_212.jpg

2011-09-09_20-28-48_348.jpg

2011-09-09_20-29-17_782.jpg

Spider bite? Brown recluse, Black widow? Only things I know of that make that kinda mark unknown. Kinda nasty with the maggots and all though.

It looks to me like he's at the healing stage already. Years ago I had a chicken attacked by a dog (before I actually got chickens on purpose, this was a stray/neighbor chicken). I cleaned her up, etc and when she started healing that's just what it looked like. Tight, blackened skin. After time the new skin grew in. She stayed around here and the neighbors for a long time and was fine.
Never mind-just saw the maggot pics and about yacked. For his own peace it's good you put him down.

Last edited:
So sorry about your roo...but I'm glad you did the right thing and put the poor thing down. I agree, looks like a bite from a poisonous something. Necrotic tissue without a known wound...poor guy!

I know the wound looked incurable but next time no matter how bad it is, clean him up and put SWAT on (from the feed store). I swear by it!!! It'll kill all the maggots and let him heal.

Back
Top Bottom