Skin rotting on live rooster - help its nasty with graphic pics

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by BairleaFarm, Sep 9, 2011.

1. BairleaFarm

BairleaFarm Songster

May 3, 2011
    Georgetown, KY
    ahh crap. so i went out and looked at him again and he looked worse. I went ahead a killed him for further examination. I will no change my response to the maggots. Or at least i think they are maggots. I checked every bird last friday. Wings, vents, skin, etc when we did the NPIP. What could have gotten him so quick. Skin was completely missing on his back and teh maggots or whatever they are where in his vent.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. brahmakid11

brahmakid11 Songster

Aug 23, 2011
    sitting on the toilet
    i dont mean to hurt your feelings but you should kill him

3. BairleaFarm

BairleaFarm Songster

May 3, 2011
    Georgetown, KY
    your not and i did before i took the pictures.

4. mystang89

mystang89 Songster

Jul 12, 2011
    Louisville
    Spider bite? Brown recluse, Black widow? Only things I know of that make that kinda mark unknown. Kinda nasty with the maggots and all though.

5. Tripp16

Tripp16 Songster

May 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    Gosh I have no idea! Sorry you had to go through that.... [​IMG]

6. Ksane

Ksane Crowing

Jun 21, 2011
    Oklahoma
    It looks to me like he's at the healing stage already. Years ago I had a chicken attacked by a dog (before I actually got chickens on purpose, this was a stray/neighbor chicken). I cleaned her up, etc and when she started healing that's just what it looked like. Tight, blackened skin. After time the new skin grew in. She stayed around here and the neighbors for a long time and was fine.
    Never mind-just saw the maggot pics and about yacked. For his own peace it's good you put him down.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2011
  7. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Can I guess and say poisonous spider or snake bite that actually has venom that eats flesh??? I'm sorry [​IMG]

8. leadwolf1

leadwolf1 Songster

May 1, 2011
    So sorry about your roo...but I'm glad you did the right thing and put the poor thing down. I agree, looks like a bite from a poisonous something. Necrotic tissue without a known wound...poor guy!

9. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Crowing

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    Wow, how awful for both of you. You did the right thing. [​IMG] I would get some seven dust just in case and give the coop a good dusting. [​IMG]

10. chkn

chkn Songster

Jun 27, 2010
    I know the wound looked incurable but next time no matter how bad it is, clean him up and put SWAT on (from the feed store). I swear by it!!! It'll kill all the maggots and let him heal.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: