Skin rotting on live rooster - help its nasty with graphic pics

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by BairleaFarm, Sep 9, 2011.

1. chicks4kids

chicks4kids Songster

Apr 22, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    Thank goodness that you put him out of his misery poor little guy [​IMG] I have never seen this before, and it took me a few minutes to absorb the pics. Thanks for sharing.

2. Tracyree

Tracyree Songster

May 6, 2011
    I had a roo years ago that had something just like that. It was on his chest and on an enormous cyst. I had him put down and know he suffered beforehand. You did the right thing. He was beautiful by the way.

3. nzpouter

nzpouter Songster

Jan 19, 2009
    new zealand
    Quote:yep... fly strike, can happen when you got a cut on the skin or high humidity in the air creating rash on the skin...

if you plan on saving the chicken if the same thing happens again (fingers crossed), the first thing you do is bathed the chicken in an antiseptic solution like detol, this will chase all the maggots out... from then on is just a matter of keeping the wound open and clean and dusted with appropriate insect powder..

4. BairleaFarm

BairleaFarm Songster

May 3, 2011
    Georgetown, KY
    Quote:thank you

5. meringogirls

meringogirls Hatching

Nov 24, 2013
    Same...........but on a hen (a free ranging australorp)....the only difference is that the skin with maggots in it is grey and rotten looking not dry like the pictures shown...no significant odor.....and no sign of any cuts/sores. Since bathing yesterday part of the grey area has become red (apparently dead tissue from this area has come away) but increasing periphery continues to be maggot filled...so will repeat bathe and antiseptic treatment today. Neighbour has suggested fly strike ...which I associated with sheep .......it is a deeply unsavoury task but will give it another go unless advised otherwise ......I might leave dinner until much much later! Any suggestions.....chook remains bright eyed and rest of body still glossy feathered......have seen her eating some seed/pecking around...but not engaging in usual scratching behaviour so obviously not herself........worth continuing or do I need to cull to limit distress???
    Should have added - chickens live in rural Far South Coast, NSW, Australia

Last edited: Nov 24, 2013
  6. MelissaTXRn

MelissaTXRn Songster

Jun 3, 2013
    Oh My Goodness! I would have culled him too.

7. Sarevan

Sarevan Songster

Sep 30, 2013
    White Swan, WA
    I know this is an old thread but I found a wound exactly like this on one of our hens. The skin was dry, no blood flow rather crunchy and smooth. It was caused by a brown recluse spider, size of a dime when first found under her tail above her vent. In 48 hrs it became the size of nearly a 50 cent piece. The area continued to become more necrotic and flesh, feathers dying. The tail stub was even dying from lack of blood flow to area. We tried cleaning, removing dead flesh, but we realized the skin and flesh would not return to a healthy state if we managed to remove the involved areas, rather then have her go through more pain, we put her down.

When I say cleaning the area, the flesh would wipe away - loose and obviously dead tissue. We found a recluse spider in the run near one of the roost spots and a small nest of baby spiders. Run had been debugged with DE. Has been in the 20's at night you would think the cold would have killed off the spiders!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: