skin shells and Sebright eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mconro, Oct 24, 2010.

1. mconro

mconro Out Of The Brooder

Jul 3, 2010
    We have 26 Black Star hens and 2 Jersey Giant hens. They are about 4 1/2 months old and are starting to lay. We have had a LOT of double yolk eggs so far but last night we got 2 eggs that had a skin instead of a shell. Is this normal?? And can a chicken lay more than one egg. Yesterda we had one lay on a nest all day. 9am,...one egg, 11am,...2 eggs,...1pm 3 eggs!! SAME chicken!!

My last question. How big are the bantam eggs?!?! I think we may be missing them.

Thanks so much![​IMG]

2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

The "skin" eggs are probably just shell less eggs. Fairly normal in new layers. If it continues you may need to supplement their feed with extra calcium. Here's a little more information:

http://www.thepoultrysite.com/publi...ndbook/16/thinshelled-eggs-and-shellless-eggs

Yes a chicken can lay more than one egg a day. It is rare though. It is more likely that your hen was just trying to go broody. If they are broody they will steal eggs from other nests to sit on. If she did lay 3 eggs in one day, that would be pretty miraculous. You need to post pictures.

I don't have bantams, but I think banty eggs are smaller than LF hen eggs.

Imp- Sounds like you are having fun

3. gettinaclue

gettinaclue Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Virginia
    We had three or four shell - less eggs when my 10 girls first started laying. They didn't last, and that was fine with me. They felt very very weird.

4. mconro

mconro Out Of The Brooder

Jul 3, 2010
    Thank you both so much! I just found another (3 now) shell less eggs. HOW WEIRD!! And yes,...I LOVE IT!!!!!!!
    Myia

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by