Skin tag or something else??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kara_leigh, Jun 10, 2011.

1. kara_leigh

kara_leigh Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2011
    Bradleyville, MO
    I was holding my little chick a few minutes ago, and I noticed that it kept picking at the base of its tail on its back. I took a look and it has what looks like a little skin tag. Do chickens get skin tags? What else could it be? Obviously it bothers the chick, unless it just picks at it b/c it is different. Should I just leave it, or do something about it? I would take pictures, but I can barely get it to hold still long enough to look at it. I'm not coordinated enough to hold it and take a picture of the teeny tiny thing on its back.

2. Covey Rise Plantation

Covey Rise Plantation Out Of The Brooder

Nov 27, 2010
    Camilla
    Thats the oil gland

CrissyH1984 likes this.
  3. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
    Quote:x2 [​IMG]

4. Pharm Girl

Pharm Girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    Quote:x2 [​IMG]

X3 they all have them![​IMG]

CrissyH1984 likes this.
  5. kara_leigh

kara_leigh Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2011
    Bradleyville, MO
    Good to know, thanks! I'm new to this whole chicken thing, so I'm pretty naive. [​IMG]

CrissyH1984 likes this.
  6. chickiechick72

chickiechick72 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 22, 2014
    I noticed my chicken picking at something on the base of her tail today. When I looked, I found what could be a skin tag, but now I wonder if it's the same thing you guys mentioned- an oil gland?
    It is less than a cm long, and looks like a tiny finger poking straight out.
    Is this ok? Should I take her to the vet?
    I have been worried for her lately because she seems skinnier than normal, even though I'm supplementing her food with yogurt, cottage cheese, bread and fruit.
    Sorry, I'm just worried about every little thing, as I just lost a hen a couple weeks ago and I need everyone to stay healthy for a while!

CrissyH1984 likes this.
  7. CrissyH1984

CrissyH1984 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 28, 2017
    Arkansas
    IMG_5098.JPG I found a what looks like a skin tag on my chick today. The skin tag is on its neck. There is also a black, raised bump underneath it.

8. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Hi @CrissyH1984 :frow Welcome To BYC

Let's see what others think @Eggcessive @casportpony @WVduckchick

I really don't know....The skin tag - is there any feathers coming out of it - could be a feather cyst. The black raised bump, it's hard to see - could it be a dried scab possibly from picking.

Hopefully someone else has a better idea.

CrissyH1984 likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by