1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

skin the chicken

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by snugglepup, Jul 8, 2007.

1. snugglepup

snugglepup Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2007
    Creedmoor, NC
    I have read on some posts/websites that if you are going to skin your chicken instead of pluck, that you have to cool it first or it will shred. Is this true? So do you kill the chicken and then dunk it in ice water, then skin it? Or is it not really necessary, you can kill it and skin it still warm just fine?

2. 3homeschoolmom

3homeschoolmom New Egg

Jun 22, 2007
    Ohio
    Last year my dh skinned the chickens. He did not dunk them and they did not shred. He just bled them, then skinned them.

HTH:)

3. turbo127

turbo127 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2007
    i too skin my chickens as i hate to pluck. i have had no problems with them shredding, and i skin them as soon as they have bled out too. also have done the same with turkeys and ducks with no problems.
    marc

4. Motherhenandflock

Motherhenandflock Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2007
    Southeast Idaho
    My DH does the deed and skins right away. No problems. I plunk them in cold water and when cool I start cutting them into pieces. Then into the fridge for complete cooling before freezing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by