Skinless Whole Chicken Recipes?

doubleatraining

Songster
12 Years
Jul 25, 2011
Franklinton, NC
I have a few recipes where I can use my skinless chicken but not enough. I raise CornishX for meat and pluck those. The DP roosters that I either raise or get from local breeders get skinned. Makes life easier.

Right now they are whole but can easily be quartered. I would really like to know if anyone has roasted a skinless chicken before and how it turned out.

TIA!!

To roast a whole chicken without skin, I'd just wrap it up tight in foil and roast it like any chicken. Some herbs on the outside, and an onion and/or garlic in the middle.

Without the skin, maybe put it in the pan upside down so the juices run into the breast. You aren't going to get the breast browned, so no real point in having it pointed up.

Corn Soup

1 - 4 to 5 pound chicken
A little lard or cooking oil
1 large onion
1 large bell pepper
4 or 5 cloves of garlic
28oz can diced tomatoes
1 small can tomato paste
1-1/2 pounds of frozen corn
5 chicken bullion cubes
1/4 cup white wine (optional)

Cut up chicken into serving pieces and remove the skin. (My Grandmother used to kill an old hen for this dish and cook it all day but you can use a frying hen to shorten the cooking time.)

Melt a spoon of lard in a large pan or Dutch oven. Brown the chicken in the lard a few pieces at a time and remove them to a plate.

Add your chopped onions, garlic and bell peppers and cook them in the fat until the onions are translucent.

Add a large 28oz can of diced tomatoes.

Add 1-1/2 pounds of frozen corn and enough water to cover all the ingredients, add 5 cubes of chicken bullion.

Bring this to a boil then add the browned chicken and any juices that might be in the plate to the pot. Reduce the heat, cover and simmer until the chicken is tender.

About 5 minutes before your ready to cut the heat off under the pot taste the broth and adjust the seasoning, adding salt and pepper if needed. At this time I like to stir in about 1/4 cup of white wine and bring it just back to a boil. It adds a little extra zing to the dish.

Serve in soup bowls over rice.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Grandma’s Chicken Gumbo
Make a dark roux with 2 cups of flour and about 1 cup of oil.
(You can buy ready made roux but homemade is the best, if you want to make you own but don't know how...Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Place the oil and flour into a 5 to 6-quart cast iron Dutch oven and whisk together to combine. Place on the middle shelf of the oven, uncovered, and bake for 1 1/2 hours, whisking 2 to 3 times throughout the cooking process.)

1 gallon of water
1 large hen (an old hen makes the best gumbo)
6 chicken bullion cubes
1 pound of good smoked sausage (Cut into bite size pieces)
1 large onion (Chopped)
1 bell pepper (Chopped)
2 stalks celery (Chopped)
3 tablespoons liquid smoke (leave this out if using smoked meat)
2 teaspoons garlic powder
2 teaspoons onion powder
2 tablespoons dried parsley flakes
1 bunch green onions (chopped)
Salt and pepper to taste

Cut the chicken in half and place it in a large stockpot with the water and the rest of the ingredients. Simmer uncovered for a couple of hours, or until chicken is tender, remove the chicken from the pot place it in a bowl and put it in the refrigerator to cool. Turn the fire off under the pot, allow to sit while chicken is cooling, all the fat will rise to the top.

With a large spoon skim fat off the top of the gumbo.

Pick the chicken off the bone and add it back to the pot and heat it through; season with salt and pepper to taste.

You can substitute just about anything for the chicken. Guinea foul and wild game works very well, squirrels, ducks, geese, rabbits, turkey, quail, pheasant, ect. Just make sure to simmer it long enough to get it tender.

Serve over rice in soup bowls.
ChickenGumbo003.jpg

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Southern Living CHICKEN AND DUMPLINGS
Makes 8 servings
Top-Rated Recipe, November 2001
Southern Living On-Line

1 (4 1/2-pound) whole chicken, cut up
2 1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
3/4 teaspoon pepper, divided
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
1 teaspoon chicken bouillon granules
3 cups self-rising flour (I just use all-purpose flour and add 3 tsp. baking powder)
1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
1/3 cup shortening
1 cup milk

COVER chicken with water, and bring to a boil in a large Dutch oven. Add 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, 1/2 teaspoon pepper, and next 3 ingredients; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 1 hour. Remove chicken, reserving broth in Dutch oven; cool chicken. Skim fat from broth; bring to a simmer.
SKIN, bone, and coarsely chop chicken. Add chicken, bouillon, and remaining salt and pepper to broth. Return to simmer.
COMBINE flour and poultry seasoning in a bowl. Cut in shortening with a pastry blender until mixture is crumbly. Add milk, stirring until dry ingredients are moistened.
TURN dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Roll out to 1/8-inch thickness; cut into 1-inch pieces.
BRING broth mixture to a boil. Drop dumplings, a few at a time, into boiling broth, stirring gently. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer, stirring often, for 25 minutes. Prep: 30 min.; Cook: 1 hr., 30 min.

This is a recipe I like for boneless skinless breast but it should work well for other pieces too.

In a large oven proof skillet brown off the pieces of chicken in some oil. (it needs to be a skillet big enough to hold all the chicken pieces at once, otherwise you could transfer to some kind of baking dish)
Take the chicken up and keep warm.
Drain off all but a couple tablespoons of the oil.
Saute some diced onion in the pan.
When the onion is soft add a cup of rice and continue to cook 3-4 more minutes.
Add a 2 cups liquid, stock, water, wine or any combination thereof.
Bring to a boil.
Put the pieces of chicken on top, cover with a tight fitting lid and bake at 350 for 45 minutes.

Obviously you can add other vegetables or herbs as you like. Mushrooms are very nice in this.

We make LEWIS AND CLARK"S WHITE CHILLI .
droolin.gif

place chicken in large pot and simmer till tender, remove let it cool take of bone and dice up . I use the broth to cook Great Northern Bean about one bag 2-3- lbs. Cook the beans. add to another pan: 1 large sweet onion chopped, 4 garlic clove minced 2-6 teaspoon of ground cumin to your taste, 1/4teaspoon ground cloves ,1/4 cayenne pepper ,1 teaspoon ground oregano (2 ) 4 ounce cans of chopped green chilies, and saute about 2-5 min . add this to the cooked beans and broth and the chicken. let it simmer a together of about 15-20 min.
grated Monterey Jack Cheese
sour cream
chopped Jalapeno pepper (in the jars)
Ladle into large bowls top cheese
on the side, sour cream and chopped Jalapeno peppers

the gumbo looks good, I'm going to try it.

my contribution to your answers:

yes a roasting bag would work out fine. (off the subject but, I cooked the world record meatball, 356 pounds, in a giant roasting bag that I made form a roll of roasting bag material, my record has since been broken, twice)

here is an easy one my wife makes: put skinless chicken breast in a baking dish and season with salt and pepper, smear the tops of the pieces with cream of mushroom soup then top each with a nice slice of swiss cheese. sprinkle with croutons and pour about a cup of white wine over all. I like it when the croutons slide down into the wine. bake in a 350 oven for 45 -60 minutes. really good.

you can also put one in the crock pot in the morning and then make homemade egg noodles after work. debone the chicken and return to a pot with the broth, add noodles and simmer till done. thicken if you like.

a crock pot cooked chicken will provide you with lots of nice boneless chicken for chicken salad, soups, chili, enchiladas, make a tuna casserole with chicken

you could brine the chickens and smoke them lightly then finish in a roasting bag or tightly cover roaster. should make great chicken salad!

find a some indian cookbooks and try some curries, not all of them are hot and you can easily adjust the heat because the heat is from the obvious ingredients (red chili powder, fresh chiles and such)

if you have an oriental section in your local market go look for some japanese yellow or red curry mix, easy and good.

Jerry

Back
Top Bottom