1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Skinned chicken (picture included)

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Imthe1whoquacks, Apr 17, 2016.

1. Imthe1whoquacks

Imthe1whoquacks In the Brooder

Mar 10, 2016
    West Virginia
    Last night something attacked my young chickens. This morning I found my one and a half month old Golden Pencil Hamburg hurt. She is missing a big patch of skin right along the left side of her breast and her neck, close to her wing. She has no puncture wounds and she's not bleeding.

[​IMG]

I brought her in and cleaned her up. I smeared triple antibiotic ointment on her to try to keep the wound from drying out. Then I dressed it with a split sponge bandage.

She has fresh food and water and limited mobility with the box I'm keeping her in. She is eating and drinking. I've covered the box with a towel to keep her calm.

Any more suggestions for what else I can do to help her would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2016

2. sun569

sun569 In the Brooder

Apr 15, 2016
    I can't be of too much help, but it sounds like you have done a lot to help her already. Keep in mind, chickens are very resilient. The only other thing I can think of that I might do is get her on some save a chick, as she most likely is stressed. Good luck, hopefully someone more experienced than myself will come along to help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by