1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Skinning a chicken...WARNING! Graphic Pics!

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Buster, Mar 3, 2008.

1. Buster

Buster Back to Work

Ok, there have been several people who have asked how to skin a chicken rather than pluck the feathers. I had a mean lead hen in my coop and after all the chances I gave her, she had to go. So in order to help those who have never skinned a chicken, I had my wife take pics as I went. I skinned it the way I have always skinned the grouse that I have taken hunting although it is a little different because chickens have more fat and thicker skin than grouse. Yes I did it outside, mostly because I've done the same with all the birds I've hunted. You may choose to do it inside or in a plastic tub but this is how I do it.

After dispatching the chicken, pull the feathers out from the belly area, between the vent and the breast bone.

[​IMG]

Then slice across like this, being careful not to cut the innards:

[​IMG]

Make the opening big enough to slide your hand into to be able to pull the innards out. Reach all the way up into the cavity and pull out. Make sure to pull out the wind pipe and also to run your fingers down each side of the spine along the ribs to pull out the lungs, heart and kidneys. Cut the vent out of the back as well, being careful not to get fecal matter on the meat. It helps to not feed the bird 24 hours before culling.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next, cut the skin starting at the breast bone up towards the neck just enough to get a hold of.

[​IMG]

Then pull the skin off and peel it almost like you are taking a jacket off the bird. Pull the wings and legs as far as you can through it, Then break them at the joint and cut the tendons with a knife.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Grab hold of the base of the tail and twist it off. The wings can be done before or after you peel the skin off the back but you should look about like this (in this pic I have one more wing to take off)

[​IMG]

You may choose to leave the neck on or take it off. I choose to take it off. Cut along either side of the neck down the spine and pull the neck off.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Just about done:

[​IMG]

At this point, I wash the bird outside with a hose to remove any dirt or feathers and check for any remaining innards and pull off whatever fat you can.

Now it is ready to do whatever you choose with it. We decided to soak ours in salt water for a couple of days.

[​IMG]

Good Luck!

1 person likes this.
  2. hsm5grls

hsm5grls Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2007
    tucson
    thank you buster and salamander for the info. It is very helpful.

3. sclanimals

sclanimals Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2007
    Utah
    Great job Buster. You make it look so easy. Come help me with my extra roos. [​IMG]

4. blue90292

blue90292 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2007
    Rosharon, TX
    i have a guy process two roosters for me and he left the neck on. i had no idea how to properly take it off so i just chopped it with a cleaver. thanks for the pic on how to properly cut it off.

michele

5. Buster

Buster Back to Work

For some reason this chicken had a lot more fat on her than I expected. It was a little different experience for me. Maybe because she was the top hen in the coop.

6. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Nice job!

Next time you might want to tie her legs and find something to hang her from. You can cut the circle around where the leg meets the feet and at the top around the neck then pull and you can strip it clean in a couple good pulls. All that is left is to open the cavity and remove the innards.

I like that nice fat on her. Means she is eating well.

7. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    I would like to add when you cook her down slow in a big stock pot really long and slow that fat on her will make some rich broth. most likely enough to freeze or can to use to make easy soup later and have your current meal.

8. Buster

Buster Back to Work

Quote:Thanks MissPrissy! For some reason that never occurred to me. I guess I am just used to field dressing wild birds. I will try that next time and see how it goes.

9. GwenFarms

GwenFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2008
    Ms. P is definetly right that fat will take the place of some of the flavor you lose from removing the skin. I've done it both ways and this is an easier way to clean a bird, but I love the flavor and juciness keeping the skin adds.

Great job and pics. skinning btw!

10. gina99mark

gina99mark Out Of The Brooder

Jan 2, 2008
    Texas
    what a great tutorial this is my first year to do chickens im hoping my husband will do it for me but this tutorial makes it look not so bad Thank you

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by