skinning or plucking

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by rypie13, Sep 16, 2008.

1. rypie13

rypie13 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 6, 2008
    As posted earlier we are having our corn x dieing on us and we need to process them earlier than we were expecting. We are wondering the advantages of skinning the bird over plucking (if there are any?) Thanks for this forum it sure has been a life saver for us

2. Cason

Cason Chillin' With My Peeps

How old are they?

I dislike skin, so I'm going to skin my fryers. The roasters I'll pluck.

3. freshegg

freshegg Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2008
    greenfield,ma
    well I plucked my turkey sunday since I don't know how to skin. I cooked it last night and for some reason didnt dare eat the skin [​IMG] . So guess I wasted alot of time plucking. I think people say skinning is quicker.

4. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    yes! both! depends on what you're going to do with it afterwards. skinning is faster. plucking is not as hard as thought.

5. justpete

justpete Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2008
    Southern NH
    If your going to freeze any birds keep the skin on. It will help protect meat from freezer burn.
    We do 50 each year. You can take the skin off when you cook it.

6. Cason

Cason Chillin' With My Peeps

Or freeze the skinless with a vacuum seal machine- and I mean a GOOD one. No freezer burn at all.

7. moenmitz

moenmitz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    I am going to quote, I believe it was, Greyfields on this one....

"Chicken skin is proof God loves us...."

AMEN.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2008
  8. rypie13

rypie13 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 6, 2008
    they will be 8 weeks on Friday. The last one that died yesterday weighed 8 lbs. live weight.

9. quercus21

quercus21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2008
    Tivoli, NY
    Depending on the amount of time I have and what I plan on doing with the meat will I choose between skinning or plucking. If it's going to be for a whole bird roaster, plucked. For cut up bbq (unless it is split in half), crock pot, fried, double dip etc, skinned. The wings are a different story, always plucked.

10. Southerngirl

Southerngirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2008
    Central Arkansas
    I use a pair of kitchen shears to skin the Cornish X's. It is SOOOOO easy. I start at the neck and cut to the tail bone and the skin just falls away. It is trickier around the wings but this is much easier than plucking. Good Luck !!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by