Skinning question

crooked stripe

Songster
12 Years
Jan 14, 2008
N.E Ohio- Suffield
I have read a lot on butchering on the web and here at BYC and if I missed this answer I am sorry. When skinning a bird do you have to gut it first. Seems to me once skinned the insides would fall out hanging form the crop etc. I have one roo to dispatch and thought it would be easier to skin it than digging all the scalding pot, stove and table out. It is an older bird so soup- stew will be made. John

So you have never butchered a Bird before? Or are you asking is skinning a way to get the feathers off without plucking them?

I am pretty sure if you were to figure out how to start getting the skin off the insides would stay inside just like a human. Last time I butcher which was NOV. I am pretty sure there is a membrane in the back under the tail that holds the intestines etc. in the chicken, which is under the skin. So you would still have to cut that and get the intentines heart lungs etc out.

I say dig out the scolder and just go ahead and do it the right way. Unless you are just dying to try it by skinning. And if it is your first time butchering def don't try the skinning.

Good Luck

Nick

As I have stated in other posts I can skin a rabbit, squirrel and pheasant in just seconds. Much faster than scalding. A well placed foot and a good pull and the skin will come right off. On most of the pheasants the entrails come out with the skin with a couple cuts inside the neck. I am not looking to put the bird on display before he go's in the pot. John

Last edited:
Quote:
How do you skin your pheasants? When we hunt grouse, we breast them right away. when my rooster got killed, we processed him the same way we did the grouse--step on its wings and pull on the legs. the breast just pops right out. mind you doing a chicken is much tougher to pull on than a grouse. We also finished the legs off the roo, which we don't do for the grouse. All entrails were left with the wings.

wow that is cool. Never heard of that or tried it that way. I would say if it works for game birds it would work with a chicken. I should ask my uncle he does what you are saying and ask if he has ever done a chicken.

Sorry I didn't mean to question your abilites, I just couldn't picture in my mind how you were going to go about it.

Remember to keep your roo off food for 24 hours and it should keep the process a bit cleaner.

Cheers

Nick

http://www.gutpilestyle.com/ForumSMF/index.php?topic=1968.0

Take
a look at this site. It will give you a look on how all this got start.

We always took the whole pheasant home to put in the stock pot with the chicken parts. Makes a good stock but does taste a bit stronger. The wing leg method is just about how we do it but there are a few more cuts around the wings but the rest slips off like pulling off your sock. A rabbit and squirrels limbs are much smaller and most of the time they just fold into themselves and comes right off. Here is a web site I have seen on how we do the squirrels. Much the same. Like anything it gets easier the more you do it. John

Back
Top Bottom