Skinning whole birds?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Mrs.H, Feb 15, 2014.

1. Mrs.H

Mrs.H Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    I've been reading a lot in these forums (and taking notes) and trying to keep up with some! Just finally got to the end for now of Kuntrygirl's pheeww (sorry if I didnt get your name right!) TS is getting in their chicks soon and I'm going to try 6-8 Cornish meat birds I guess whatever they have, lady said they only get Cornish hens when I asked about Cornish X, not even sure if those are the small ones or what or maybe she doesn't really know. But I was thinking since it's my first time and trying to keep it as easy as possible I was wanting to maybe just skin the whole bird rather than pluck for this first round of meaties but cant find awhole lot of info. We don't eat the skin anyway and I always cook my whole birds in the crockpot. And I do want to pluck my next round but like I said just want to kinda ease into this. You can skin and freeze them whole right? Should I still let them cure in fridge for few days before freezing? I read someone soaked them in a salt water bath, not sure the reason? Any tips, dos and don'ts would be great thanks!

2. Alaskan

Alaskan The Frosted Flake

Skinning is great.

I hate plucking. :sick

If you want to skin the entire bird, it takes a bit, but it is still easier than plucking in my opinion.

For chickens we skin it, then do a slow bar-b-que. MARVELOUS!

For Ducks we just peal back the skin and cut out the breast, thighs and legs. Our ducks have most of their meat in the breast and the legs, so I don't even bother with the back. I just did one today.

However, the back and carcass would make a lovely soup.

3. Alaskan

Alaskan The Frosted Flake

Oh, I usually let them sit in the fridge for a day or two before freezing, but I prefer eating it fresh (after a two day sit in the fridge).

I don't usually brine, but it can add some great flavor.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2014
  4. Mrs.H

Mar 22, 2010
    Thanks!

5. Sierrab

Sierrab Out Of The Brooder

Feb 5, 2014
    We raise about 30 Cornish X and always pluck them but decided to skin a couple of them last fall. The issue I came across is the skinned ones don't last as long in the freezer. I think I will be plucking all of them this fall.

6. Mrs.H

Mar 22, 2010
    Yes I figured they wouldn't last as long either without the skin protection. 6-8 chickens in the freezer shouldn't be take that long to eat anyway haha! I do plan on plucking the next round and hopefully raise more than this batch :)

7. ladycat

ladycat Chillin' With My Peeps

I always skin them. I HATE plucking.

8. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    It's taken me many attempts and I've finally gotten the knack of plucking. You've got to let the hot water to it's job before you even start. Water at about 160F, dip and swish bird. Try a tail feather. Dip and swish about again...and again...try feather...and again. It takes up to 6 dunks some times and suddenly a tail or wing feather falls out without any resistance when you give a light pull. Perfect! Can pluck a bird clean in a bit over 5 minutes.

I also just skin them if a old bird. If it's just going to soup or gumbo type dish then there is no need to put forth effort. Cut off the wings, legs at hocks and skin it. Even without skin there is a lot of fat and you still have to skim the stock of fat after it sits a day in fridge.

9. Sierrab

Sierrab Out Of The Brooder

Feb 5, 2014
    I have raised and plucked a lot of chickens but have never left them in fridge after they were cleaned. Why do they need to sit in fridge before freezing?

10. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    Time to relax the meat and let rigor mortis pass before cooking. You can just hang them outside if it's not too hot, gutted and feathers on., Or hang them in a cool garage or basement for a day.

Oh, before freezing. Yeah, I don't get that either. Don't think they have to as the meat relaxes as they thaw.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by