Skinny Birds - Mystery SOLVED!

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by ibarbidahl, Oct 15, 2012.

1. ibarbidahl

ibarbidahl Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2012
    Odessa, FL
    A few weeks back I posted about my pullets sudden weight loss. I was worried about the possibility of worms and other such problems. I did worm them but as it turns out I found my culprit...

They are EATING the ground cover in their run. YUP. You read that right. About a month ago I started bringing home shredded paper and letting the gals mix it with the pine shavings. They seemed to really enjoy themselves scratching it up and such. It was about 1-2 weeks later I noticed the weight loss but I didn't put those 2 things together as I had just moved them into this run a few weeks prior.
    [​IMG]
    This weekend I brought home a new batch of paper. Proceeded to dump it in a pile and watch the birds go at it. Later toward evening I decided to watch them go to bed. I got a seat to watch the show and saw Blondie slurp up something that looked like a worm... Uh- Hmmm.... I watch a few more minutes and realized they were ALL doing this, and it was not worms but the dang paper shreds!

NO WONDER they were losing weight! Now I'll probably be fighting that battle again this next week or two. I mean sheesh how many calories are in paper?
    [​IMG]

I did finally find a place near me that has the game bird crumbles and they had JUST started to put that weight back on...

*sigh* Now I guess I'll be looking for something besides paper mixed with wood shavings.

2. cluckcluckluke

cluckcluckluke Overrun With Chickens

i made this terrible mistake myself except i put it in with my nesting straw, they not only did they enjoye nesting in it but they love eating it, huge long pieces of it! do they have NO taste buds or what?

Last edited: Oct 15, 2012
  3. memphis

memphis Overrun With Chickens

Aug 6, 2012
    Wow. Never would have thought...

4. ibarbidahl

Aug 22, 2012
    Odessa, FL
    I keep reading what a great thing it is in the runs, too... UGH. I hope no one else runs into this problem. My birds were extremely skinny and they can't afford much more weight loss. :-(

5. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    It's not really that good anyway if you have moisture problems. Paper will suck that moisture up and hold on to it forever.

6. ll

ll Chillin' With My Peeps

Gather leaves ... I use lots & lots of fallen leaves, and pine straw / pine needles too.

7. ibarbidahl

Aug 22, 2012
    Odessa, FL
    I so wish I had leaves. In Florida it's not that easy to get them. :-(

I have one young maple in my yard and it won't drop until February just in time for a new flush of leaves. I'll be going to Alabama for THanksgiving. Guess I'll bring a rake and a lot of garbage bags!!!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by