1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Skinny BLRW Rooster

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Nothinghead, Feb 2, 2017.

1. Nothinghead

Nothinghead Out Of The Brooder

Oct 4, 2016
    Ledyard, CT
    Hi all. I have a large BLRW rooster who is about 3 years old. Big boy, but super skinny. e has access to the same pasture and feed as all the other ladies (50 or so birds right now) who are mostly fine. A couple of them are skinny too though.

I try to set the skinny birds aside in rabbit hutches and feed them. In addition to layer pellets they get suet, cracked corn, and cat food.

I just wormed the flock as well. Not sure that it is the issue, but as a precaution.

The rooster has been hanging on, but now is having trouble perching. I really want to get this guy better.

They didn't have access to pellets 24/7 before this week, but were on pasture and were fed some pellets in the AM. Everyone else crops were full by the end of the day, except for his, which would be partial to empty. As soon as I started separating him to feed directly, he would eat but he never had as full a crop as the other ladies. More than when he was on pasture though.

Any ideas? He seems healthy otherwise. He is NOT the alpha of the flock. He sleeps on the ground these days under the perches, and there is some small minor pecking going on every now and then, but nothing that seems out of place.

Thanks for the help.

2. MasterOfClucker

MasterOfClucker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    Dont give them cracked corn.Little to no protein.Suet is very fatty too.How much protein is in your layer feed?

3. Nothinghead

Oct 4, 2016
    Ledyard, CT
    I take it Protein is the goal then.

The layer feed is 16 or 18%. I forget which one. I gave him the cat food because of the higher protein.

4. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Cat food is too high in salt to be fed regularly. Suet and corn provide a lot of calories, but little else in terms of nutrition. Layer feed is for actively laying hens only. The high calcium content can be fatal to non-producing birds. Feed should be available all day long.

5. Nothinghead

Oct 4, 2016
    Ledyard, CT
    So what do you feed a flock of hens and a roosters?

It has progressed to a refusal to eat, paling of the wattles and comb, and weakness to the point of crawling, instead of standing or walking. Still alert, just getting weaker and not eating....

6. junebuggena

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Anything with a protein content of at least 18 percent and a max calcium content of 2% is safe for all ages and stages. The only thing in addition to feed that layers need is a source of calcium, which is easily provided via crushed oyster shell. Isolate him, get vitamins and electrolytes mixed into his water and give him unlimited access to unmedicated chick starter. You may need to wet it down into a gruel to make it more appealing and easier to eat.

7. Nothinghead

Oct 4, 2016
    Ledyard, CT
    I've ground up the layer feed for him and wet it wth ACV. He hate a small amount, and drank none of the water with vitamins in it. I'll get some game bird feed or chick starter for him today.

8. Nothinghead

Oct 4, 2016
    Ledyard, CT
    Well, he's got high protein feed now. If he won't eat it, how can i get it in him?

9. junebuggena

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Dissolve it with water and use a dropper to get it in his mouth.

10. Nothinghead

Oct 4, 2016
    Ledyard, CT
    Enough to fill his crop I assume?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by