Skinny broody girl. Should I worry? What to do?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Mr. Frizzles Hen House, Feb 5, 2009.

1. Mr. Frizzles Hen House

Mr. Frizzles Hen House Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2008
    Seabeck, Washington
    Ok, so my Americana is stillllllllllllll broody. I've been letting her do her thing since the new year (as I taked about in my past post). I boot her off the nest two times a day. She usually isn't sitting on anything, but still gets all fluffed and sings at me. She comes running out on her own for treats in the am with the others, but goes right back on the nest. I didn't want to cage her but she is getting lighter when I pick her up. I can feel her breast bone and there isn't much meat on either side. At what point do I worry. Should I supplement her? Do they starve themselves over this?

2. nzpouter

nzpouter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    new zealand
    come again..? Why don't you take her off the broodie if you're not setting any eggs on her? Yes they can loose a lot of weight and yes there are other things that can go wrong when sitting in the nest box for extended period of time.

3. Mr. Frizzles Hen House

Oct 9, 2008
    Seabeck, Washington
    Well, I'm new to this. I got suggestions to seperate her and put her in a wire bottom cage to break it. Others said she will come to her senses eventually. I'm not set up to easily seperate her and I didn't mind she stopped laying. I have eight other layers all are under a year old. I'm not interested in chicks, just eggs. Any suggestions?

4. austinhart123

austinhart123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    Los Angeles CA
    the wire cage method is your best bet... it works and some never come to their senses

5. nzpouter

Jan 19, 2009
    new zealand
    get her out of it, use a cat carry cage, hang it on the wall for 4-5 days, under shelter with food and water.

Chicken have 2 heat pad on either side of the keel that filled with blood when they go broodie... the idea is to lower the temperature on those, you can wipe those area with water in the morning as well to speed things up.

6. Mr. Frizzles Hen House

Oct 9, 2008
    Seabeck, Washington
    Ok, so tell me again how does the cage work? Should the cage be in the coop with the others? For how long? It's still gets down to freezing in this area at night, will she get too cold with out bedding? Should I give her a board to perch on?

7. Mr. Frizzles Hen House

Oct 9, 2008
    Seabeck, Washington
    Sorry, just saw that last post. 4-5 days, ok. Is hanging on the wall for a reason other than air underneath. What about the chilly nights?

8. nzpouter

Jan 19, 2009
    new zealand
    hang it in a place under shelter (rain, sun, chills), you can hang it in the coop as long as she's out of direct sunlight.

9. Jena

Jena The Welsh Witch

Nov 2, 2008
    Cardiff
    Keep an eye on her.

I had one doing the same.

She is off the nest now, but it seems she is bottom of the pecking order, and she is being picked on so I have to watch she is eating.

She is fine, but it could just be the flock mentality.

At least she is roosting now with the others.

Jena.

10. Mr. Frizzles Hen House

Oct 9, 2008
    Seabeck, Washington
    Half of my coop is their space, the other half is storage / access to the nest boxes which are waist high. I isolated an injured hen in that area in the past. Do you think I can put her in there with no bedding and have the same effect as the wire cage? She can roost on a 4-5" area which is about half the top of the net boxes. Chicken wire comes down the middle and there's a full man/ chicken wire door so she can see the others. Will it work if she's still sitting in wood ?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by