Skinny chicken.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by erinc, Oct 1, 2016.

1. erinc

erinc Out Of The Brooder

May 10, 2016
    Louisville Ky
    I've got 3 Isa Browns, they are all laying at this point. I believe the one in question isn't as consistent as the other two, Shadow. She just doesn't seems as wide as the other girls. My other two are nice and fluffy, wide, and Blondie produces the largest eggs of the three. Shadow, the one I'm concerned about, eats, drinks, scratches, acts like a normal chicken. If she weren't just small I wouldn't think anything was wrong with her. But since this is my first time raising chickens I'm always over cautious and want to ensure happy, healthy chickens. I've got a flock of 6, my 3 Isas, two EEs and an EE rooster, he's a gem but goes after them like a dog in heat. They've all become submissive to him so I don't believe that is the issue.
    Thanks in advanced.

SHADOW, the darker one, the one in question. & BLONDIE
    [​IMG]
    SHADOW, RICHARD, BLONDIE
    [​IMG]
    SHADOW
    [​IMG]

2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Hens mature and grow at different rates.
    Some don't eat quite as much as the other ones or are a bit more active.

Get a baseline weight on her and weigh her at least once a week. If she is not losing weight, is eating, drinking, pooping, acting normal and active, then she is most likely fine.

I have two Buff Orpingtons, one is larger than the other and weighs more. The larger one eats more, is less active and lays an egg on average 5x a week. The other one is smaller, is very active - spends her day digging and rooting around (all day long) - she eats less and only lays on average 3x a week. Same breed, hatchery, environment, feed, etc., but two very different girls.

1 person likes this.
  3. lovechickens23

lovechickens23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2013
    Got a skinny chick she eats drink with her head tilted blind in one eye she very week what's drone? Dose any buddy know any vet who can come to my house to help in argyle new York asap

4. lovechickens23

Aug 18, 2013
    [​IMG]
    Can any buddy help me

5. Wyorp Rock

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Welcome to BYC @lovechickens23 It would be best to start your own new thread at the top of this page in the emergency/diseases/injuries forum. This will reduce confusion and you will get more advice for your own unique situation. List all symptoms that you are seeing, post your photos, her age, which treatment(s) you are using and any other information you feel is important.

Post your situation here:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/10/emergencies-diseases-injuries-and-cures

6. lovechickens23

Aug 18, 2013
    Please help what can I feed a skinny chick

7. Wyorp Rock

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains

Last edited: Oct 3, 2016
  8. lovechickens23

Aug 18, 2013
    I said she eats chick starter food and I am gussing 3 months old and I don't k ow how she got blind I am Gissing from when she was really sick when smaller chick. I tryied the eye medicine. How can I help her skinnes???? And her eye??? I don't have a better pick sorry and u guys do know vets cause u have list of them witch one can come to my house??? Is this the back yard chickens

9. Wyorp Rock

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Encourage her to eat the chick starter. You can also add scrambled/hard boiled egg to her diet. Some poultry vitamins added to her water may be helpful.

Try GOOGLE and the link below to search for Avian Vets in your area.

http://www.aav.org/search/custom.asp?id=1803

10. lovechickens23

Aug 18, 2013
    She eats fine but won't gain wait why??? Is this the back yard chicken person I am talking to? Or is it one of the ppl??? What is poultry vitetmin? What can I do for her eye??

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by