1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Skinny Chicken

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by I Love Layers, Dec 26, 2016.

1. I Love Layers

I Love Layers Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2015
    Middle of Nowhere
    I have got an extremely skinny Cochin cockerel.

I purchased him in September from a breeder in NY. Him and his traveling companion s pullet both arrived safely and healthy.
    But for the last 2 weeks he's gotten skinnier and skinnier. He is eating. I watch him everyday, and he eats the same amount as my 3 other breeding cochins. The same food and everything but he is skinny!
    Not sure what is going on with him but any suggestions or what I can do to put some meat on his bones would be greatly appreciated!

2. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler Premium Member

Layers have you checked for worms? ( I am sure you have)

Maybe feed it some hard boiled eggs for the protein. Just a guess. Good luck.

Does he have grit available? I hate to do it but I buy granite chips in the winter when we are froze over.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2016
  3. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Is he molting? A lot of chickens, pullets and cockerels, skip the molt their first fall/winter but not all do. A cockerel I hatched this past February went through a molt this fall. It’s a little unusual but with living animals about anything can happen.

A Cochin should have very thick feathers. Most do. Often there is not much actual body under there, which becomes obvious when they molt. I see that with my hens, they are actually pretty small when they molt, and I don’t have especially thick-feathered chickens. I hope it’s just a molt.

Could you send a photo of the cockerel and ask the breeder? They might have a more expert opinion.

As suggested, worms can cause them to be skinny, even if they are eating properly. Taking a fecal sample to a vet to confirm or deny the presence of worms is a good idea.

When I have a problem I try to determine if it is a flock-wide problem or an individual chicken problem. That helps me decide how to approach the solution, I don’t like to treat the whole flock when it is an individual chicken problem. From what you said it sounds like an individual problem, if it really is a problem, so I’d concentrate on him. If it worms though all your flock has them, it’s just that he has a heavier worm load.

Good luck, some things can be simple or can be difficult.

4. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

What feed are you feeding? Cockerels/Roosters have needs as far as feed goes....Do the other birds allow him to eat....Add another food and water bowl.....

Cheers!

5. I Love Layers

Apr 25, 2015
    Middle of Nowhere
    They get grit sometimes. I will make sure to start giving him some more.
    I checked for worms last week but will check again.

He's not molting. I will see if I can get ahold of the breeder.

He eats and gets water as I have started watching him to make sure he does. They get an oat and layer ration

6. duluthralphie

I doubt it is a feed issue. I have seen your other birds on here and know you know how to feed them. It has to be something simple, I think and you are overlooking.

Is he a real "mellow" guy that does not push his way in and get bumped out by the other roosters?

I had to bring one inside (the barn not house) that I had been showing, he simply had lost the pushiness a rooster needs to fight off the other roosters by living the Pampered live of a show bird.

7. I Love Layers

Apr 25, 2015
    Middle of Nowhere
    He is extremely mellow. He is with a more aggressive pullet though. At first she would peck him but they've gotten over that. I will check him again for worms and other things today. I hope its something simple..

8. duluthralphie

I am betting he is just too mellow to eat when another bird is around.

9. I Love Layers

Apr 25, 2015
    Middle of Nowhere
    This is him today. I took him out of his cage. I think he's gaining more weight now, compared yo last week
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by