Skinny Chicken

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by I Love Layers, Dec 26, 2016.

1. I Love Layers

I Love Layers Overrun With Chickens

Apr 25, 2015
    North Dakota
    I have got an extremely skinny Cochin cockerel.

I purchased him in September from a breeder in NY. Him and his traveling companion s pullet both arrived safely and healthy.
    But for the last 2 weeks he's gotten skinnier and skinnier. He is eating. I watch him everyday, and he eats the same amount as my 3 other breeding cochins. The same food and everything but he is skinny!
    Not sure what is going on with him but any suggestions or what I can do to put some meat on his bones would be greatly appreciated!

2. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota
    Layers have you checked for worms? ( I am sure you have)

Maybe feed it some hard boiled eggs for the protein. Just a guess. Good luck.

Does he have grit available? I hate to do it but I buy granite chips in the winter when we are froze over.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2016
  3. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Is he molting? A lot of chickens, pullets and cockerels, skip the molt their first fall/winter but not all do. A cockerel I hatched this past February went through a molt this fall. It’s a little unusual but with living animals about anything can happen.

A Cochin should have very thick feathers. Most do. Often there is not much actual body under there, which becomes obvious when they molt. I see that with my hens, they are actually pretty small when they molt, and I don’t have especially thick-feathered chickens. I hope it’s just a molt.

Could you send a photo of the cockerel and ask the breeder? They might have a more expert opinion.

As suggested, worms can cause them to be skinny, even if they are eating properly. Taking a fecal sample to a vet to confirm or deny the presence of worms is a good idea.

When I have a problem I try to determine if it is a flock-wide problem or an individual chicken problem. That helps me decide how to approach the solution, I don’t like to treat the whole flock when it is an individual chicken problem. From what you said it sounds like an individual problem, if it really is a problem, so I’d concentrate on him. If it worms though all your flock has them, it’s just that he has a heavier worm load.

Good luck, some things can be simple or can be difficult.

4. chickens really

chickens really True BYC Addict

What feed are you feeding? Cockerels/Roosters have needs as far as feed goes....Do the other birds allow him to eat....Add another food and water bowl.....

Cheers!

5. I Love Layers

Apr 25, 2015
    North Dakota
    They get grit sometimes. I will make sure to start giving him some more.
    I checked for worms last week but will check again.

He's not molting. I will see if I can get ahold of the breeder.

He eats and gets water as I have started watching him to make sure he does. They get an oat and layer ration

6. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014
    I doubt it is a feed issue. I have seen your other birds on here and know you know how to feed them. It has to be something simple, I think and you are overlooking.

Is he a real "mellow" guy that does not push his way in and get bumped out by the other roosters?

I had to bring one inside (the barn not house) that I had been showing, he simply had lost the pushiness a rooster needs to fight off the other roosters by living the Pampered live of a show bird.

7. I Love Layers

Apr 25, 2015
    North Dakota
    He is extremely mellow. He is with a more aggressive pullet though. At first she would peck him but they've gotten over that. I will check him again for worms and other things today. I hope its something simple..

8. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014
    I am betting he is just too mellow to eat when another bird is around.

9. I Love Layers

Apr 25, 2015
    North Dakota
    This is him today. I took him out of his cage. I think he's gaining more weight now, compared yo last week
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by