skinny chicken

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by rubyzoo, Jan 10, 2011.

1. rubyzoo

rubyzoo Out Of The Brooder

Dec 11, 2010
    [​IMG] I HAVE 6 SKINNY CHICKEN they have dunmor chicken pellet all they want . then at noon I give them a flake of alfalfa grass hay mixture three o'clock they get 1 1/2 lb can of scratch 1 1/2 lb of black sun flower seeds. They were wormed in dec and treated Duramycin once (in NOV. than he treated with corid for coccidoisis in dec. Are they getting to much scratch?[​IMG] I keep the coop clean as i can in winter, change wood shaving every two weeks completely. under the roost every two or three days but i stirr it every day never smells. that get fresh water daily! So Happy about that! What Iam I doing wrong that I have skinny chickens?

2. Sootsie

Sootsie Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2010
    im new so dont really know what breed of chicken are they?

3. rubyzoo

Dec 11, 2010
    3 amerauca( easter egg chicken) plymouth rock star ?[​IMG]

4. jeslewmazer

jeslewmazer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2009
    Mississippi
    How skinny do you mean? Do you see them eat? How old are they? Do they act healthy? Do they look healthy? When you wormed did you give too much or too little?
    I'm not real sure but if they are really bonny they might still have parasites. [​IMG]

5. rubyzoo

Dec 11, 2010
    [​IMG]i had them wormed in late nov.how skinny well you can feel very skinny breast bone they were not like this in the fall . three were last spring early spring chicks April last three last of late spring chick.

6. BigDaddy'sGurl

BigDaddy'sGurl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Wilkesboro NC
    Are you leaving the layer food available in the feeder at ALL times? Chickens aren't like dogs or cats: you can't just feed them at certain times of the day and them stay healthy. They have to have constant access to good, wholesome feed. Try buying some chicken starter/grower, nonmedicated, because it usually contains higher protein.

7. rubyzoo

Dec 11, 2010
    they look ok some feather look ruff Yes i see them eat. I've every thing I give but the pellets i not had to replace any or fill pellets I hope they are getting to many snacks ! i will put less sun flowers seeds and scratch! the vet told me what to give them I did what he said on the wormer! They were looking good until I was afraid about them being cold so in increase scratch and added black sunflower seeds they always had left over for the next day they ate it in the morning then the get more that night.

8. rubyzoo

Dec 11, 2010
    they have layer pellets 24 hours a day . i keep more than enough for them. they never run out!

9. chuckzoo

chuckzoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2009
    Tuscaloosa, Alabama
    I would cut down on the scratch, as they will eat that in preference to their layer or chicken feed. If you want to use scratch I would give them BOSS early in the morning and at night before they go to roost.

10. ARose4Heaven

ARose4Heaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Flippin, AR
    I think you are on the right track about reducing the treats. Scratch does not have enough nutritional value to flesh out a skinny bird. Try Layer Crumbles instead of pellets. Some birds just don't like the pellets. You didn't say how old the birds are...older birds tend to be skinny, and very young can look thin too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by