skinny chicken

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by newham0614, Oct 2, 2011.

1. newham0614

newham0614 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2010
    orange,va
    I've had one chicken die so far. They are all molting. I have noticed another hen getting very skinny with no other symptoms. But i have noticed a few of the hens eating a orange mushroom that has grown because of all the rain. I have gotten rid of it when i noticed them eating it. Could it be possible that is what's doing it?

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

How old are they? The first thing I think of with weight loss is worms.

3. newham0614

newham0614 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2010
    orange,va
    Thanks for the reply. My husband was thinking about that. What wormer does everyone use?

4. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Quote:Be cautious if they are less than 18 weeks old, as wormers are very hard on hens. It is really not recommended to worm less than 18 weeks old according to what I've read on here. However, my wazine bottle does give a dose for 4-6 week olds as well as adults.

If you are treating for roundworms then Wazine will work. There are other wormers some are using off-label in order to kill other types of worms.

If you are interested in off-label wormers, then search BYC for valbazen. However, be aware that wormers have an "egg withdrawal time" that you must observe where you toss the eggs.

Also, you said they are molting. Molting and worming together will be VERY hard on your hens. So, some vets will do a fecal test for worms for a small fee. You might consider that.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by