Skinny chicken??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by edenbobeden, Mar 12, 2013.

1. edenbobeden

edenbobeden Out Of The Brooder

Sep 6, 2012
    Creatives Florida
    I have 2 Easter Eggers that are 7 weeks old. They lay about 6 eggs each a week ( one is going 14 days straight of laying) I give them plenty of feed, scratch, water, occasional hand full of meal worms and bread scraps but they are very skinny. You are able to feel there breast bone and they barely feel like anything when you pick them up, they still are pretty small for there breed. So is this just like there skinny teenage years and they will plump up or am I missing something. It's not because of winter I know that, I live in Florida and its warm and still plenty of greens.

2. Cotton42

Cotton42 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2012
    St. Louis, Missouri
    I hope you mean 7 months old, because a 7 WEEK old pullet laying 6 eggs a day is something I would love to see! [​IMG] But seriously, if they are eating and laying just fine I wouldn't worry about them too much, some chickens are small and some are large and some are in-between. If you're in Florida where it is warm most of the year they don't really have a need to put on fat.

3. edenbobeden

Sep 6, 2012
    Creatives Florida
    Ok and I did mean 6 months haha

4. lahowardjr

lahowardjr Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2012
    Bache Oklahoma
    Do you think they may be wormy? Wouldn't hurt to consider worming them with a cider vinegar in the water that would not hurt the edibility of your eggs.

5. edenbobeden

Sep 6, 2012
    Creatives Florida
    I don't think they have worms they are very perky

6. pwand

pwand Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2007
    BC Canada
    Chickens can be healthy looking and still have worms. It doesn't hurt to do a worm treatment once in awhile. You don't have to see worms to have worms.

7. edenbobeden

Sep 6, 2012
    Creatives Florida
    We're can you get worm treatment stuff?? Is there like any food that can do the job( I think I heard pumpkin could)?

8. marti2b4

marti2b4 New Egg

Apr 30, 2013
    You can use diamaceous earth. They eat it and it kills the worms. At least that's what I read. I have some that I got from our tractor supply store.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by