skinny chicken

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by swamperkk, Jan 24, 2015.

1. swamperkk

swamperkk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2014
    what disease cause a heathy chicken to become skinny and die within 3 weeks,i have lost 10 over the year because of this,i tried different wormers,corid medicated pellets,the ones that died i put them in a seperate pen before they died and tried everything,i have three left and looks like i going to lose them also,these are jungle fowl,the rest of the chickens are ok,,anybody had a problem with this,if so how to cure this disease

2. Thirteen

Thirteen Out Of The Brooder

May 14, 2013
    Texas
    Mites, coccidiosis, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. swamperkk

May 8, 2014
    i treated for that too,not working,im about to shove some yogurt down their beaks,that might help

4. SunkenRoadFarms

SunkenRoadFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2014
    Maryland
    I would lean toward something intestinal like cocci. You would need to treat with Corid liquid or powder. If they're to the point of weight loss you'll need to dropper feed the medicated water until they are well enough to drink on their own. Any other symptoms?

5. Ntsees

Ntsees Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2012
    I also had a problem with that sickness last year. The only difference was that it affected my very young chicks and the adult birds were fine. I tried a few medication (Vet Rx, deworming, Sulmet) but was unsuccessful. Only a few chicks survived and how that happened, I think, was that when they got old enough (i.e. half grown), they were able to outfight it. After the sickness as chicks, from juvenile to adult, they were as healthy as my other birds. The effects from the sickness caused the birds to be slightly stunted in growth as adults however.

The sickness symptoms were slow movement and they were not as active as normal chicks (they were normal and very active when they first hatched until they got that sickness). Sometimes they were not able to keep up with the hen. They did eat and drink, but regardless, they were still sluggish. It dragged on for a period of weeks before they died. And of course, they were very skinny at the time of passing. I looked the fecal waste and saw no visual usual signs of sickness (i.e. watery white, etc). Their waste was dry and normal like the adult birds. Their waste was not watery or discolored like how you see in sick chickens. A very strange disease because I'm used to seeing diseases that give birds watery fecal waste which may have caused them to die within a few days. This sickness, as said, was not quick and lasted for a while where most died and few survived.

I haven't found a solution except that I plan to have fewer breeding hens compared to last year. Like swamperkk, I'm interested to know from those who may have experience this and if there is any cure. Spring breeding is just within a few months and I haven't forgotten what that disease did to my chicks.

6. swamperkk

May 8, 2014
    no thats about the size of it,i'm going end up killing one because its going to die anyway,and open the hen up and check out whats going on,get back to you next week,but i will wait until its about to die

7. swamperkk

May 8, 2014
    if they look like they dont have any engery looks sleepy all the time,feathers ruffle,look for them to lose weight then die within 3 or 4 weeks,what ever it is its heart breaking to me,so if anybody know what to do please let me and everybody know

8. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

What dewormer's did you try? If possible try to get a bird necropsied by your state poultry pathology lab. Some states do them for free and you will get a lot more info. Especially if they are ill with something that will not be visible to your eyes if you do your own necropsy.

1 person likes this.
  9. swamperkk

May 8, 2014
    i use valbazen,wazine,sulmet,and corid,not at the same time,i'm about 25 miles from L.S.U. i tried to bring it to them but there was nobody that would take it,so i will try myself,wish me luck,who knows i might find a cure,!!!!!!!!!

10. swamperkk

May 8, 2014
    my skinny hen has died,i cut her open expect to find worms or something,no worms the blood was not like blood at all,it looks like the blood has been watered down not thick,i look at the intestense found no worms dont know what cause this,i have another hen with the same system,i have put her in a pen and try to help her but it looks like she wont make it,one more hen left and she is very healthy,so are the roosters,what next?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by