Skinny chicken

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by srfrgrl, Feb 21, 2015.

1. srfrgrl

srfrgrl Out Of The Brooder

Nov 13, 2011
    Hello,
    You have all been so helpful everytime one of my hens has an issue. Last time I was on here one of my RIRs died from a pretty bad case of sour crop. Now my other RIR is super skinny. I can feel her breast bone quite prominently. She seems okay. Not terribly sluggish although easy to catch. I am pretty sure she is not laying either. It is hard to tell if she is eating or not as I don't get a chance to sit and watch too often. Any ideas would be welcome. Thanks so much. Take care.

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Could be parasites. Have a fecal sample read to determine if there's an excessive worm load.

3. srfrgrl

srfrgrl Out Of The Brooder

Nov 13, 2011
    Thank you for that. I am not sure where I would take the sample though. Any idea?

4. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Any vet SHOULD be able to read a fecal. Worms are worms and coccidia is coccidia regardless of host.
    Most however either want to see the 'patient' or won't do it if they hear the word 'chicken'.
    You can also send a FRESH sample to your state poultry lab. That's pretty cheap and free in some states.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by