Skinny chickens and black poop

iml8agn

In the Brooder
Mar 30, 2017
We are coming off of a very long and cold winter in Maine. Our hen house had hanging radiant heat and usually stayed above 20 degrees and the run was sheltered by plastic. That being said, this spring we notice we have very skinny hens and black tarry poop. There is no poop on the eggs unless it was laid in poop. Our rooster looks great. We feed them a mix of organic egg layer by purina, cracked corn, oyster shells, scatter snacks and meal worms daily. They also have the egg layer pellets available all the time in feeders. When we have scraps from fruit, veggies and such we put that out as well. As the weather is warmer they get some free range time but only on weekends when we can be home because the chickens wander. We have an acre and a half but we still find them in our neighbors front yard (not sure they appreciate it due to pooping EVERYWHERE). We tried stringing up chicken wire but the walk to the edge of it and go around. Using the breastbone scale they are maybe a 1. It is very prominent. We use diatomaceous earth now and then but have read it doesn't really work. Other than being skinny with dark poop they seem happy and healthy. We have four hens and on rooster. I hope someone can help.

Chickens eat what they like to eat. What a chicken likes to eat is not necessary what is best or what is healthiest for them to eat. Force them to eat the layer and cut the snacks down to once weekly and only feed half as much each week as what you have been giving them daily.

PS: Skinny breasts are an indication of poor overall condition because chickens carry their fat reserves clustered around their vent unlike Lord Buddha or maybe the professional boxer known as "Butterbean."

https://images.search.yahoo.com/yhs.../z/fat-buddha-statue-2262962.jpg&action=click
search

Stop all treats...which includes the corn and scatter snacks.
Feed ONLY a complete feed.
Check them over for blood sucking bugs and collect some fresh poop to have tested for worms.

the blood sucking bugs makes me worry because the other day they were going nuts taking dirt baths. Like obsessive! I thought it was because they haven't been out much since Fall. Their feathers look great and they don't scratch or pick so I never thought it could be parasites. I'll look them over. Not sure what to look for though.

I work in a hospital but I'm guessing the poop sample does not have to be a clean catch because that would be tough. Five minutes on my freshly hosed driveway and I could get several! LOL Do I just take it to my dog/cat vet?

the blood sucking bugs makes me worry because the other day they were going nuts taking dirt baths. Like obsessive! I thought it was because they haven't been out much since Fall. Their feathers look great and they don't scratch or pick so I never thought it could be parasites. I'll look them over. Not sure what to look for though.

I work in a hospital but I'm guessing the poop sample does not have to be a clean catch because that would be tough. Five minutes on my freshly hosed driveway and I could get several! LOL Do I just take it to my dog/cat vet?
Look at them at night with a flash light.
Look all over for little bugs crawling on them.

Yes...try to catch/collect some fresh poop.
Call young vet and ask them first if they will run a fecal test on some fresh poop.
They most likely will say yes, if not you can mail some poop in.
I'll be back with a link.
What state are you in?

Back
Top Bottom