Skinny Chickens

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Peep-Chicken, Nov 24, 2016.

1. Peep-Chicken

Peep-Chicken Overrun With Chickens

Jun 10, 2013
    Michigan
    My Coop
    I got some new chickens last week. They like to eat corn, not so much pellets. They just feel really skinny compared to my other chickens. The one moves around and like to forage but three would rather stay back and sleep.
    What's wrong with them?

2. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Chicken Obsessed

Well, for one thing no one can live healthy off candy bars alone, which is what corn is. Get them some protein, asap!

3. EggSighted4Life

You might consider switching to crumble. My chickens eat that better than pellets.

Also, you don't give enough info. Like age and gender or what makes you think they are skinny? For example, leghorns look really skinny next barred rock.

Eliminate the corn unless it's a cold night or a special treat.

4. Peep-Chicken

Jun 10, 2013
    Michigan
    My Coop
    Alright I'll have to do that, thanks!

They are four month old ayam cemanis. One is a cockerel.
    They feel quite light with a prominate breast bone

5. EggSighted4Life

If you are planning to keep the cockerel you will need to use a flock raiser type feed instead of layer. Layer is too low in protein and way to high in calcium. Both will stunt growth but the high calcium can actually cause kidney failure in the long term. As long as you offer oyster shell on the side your layers will be happy and healthy.

I have a mixed age and gender flock, so I use Purina Flock Raiser with about 20% protein and 1% calcium with OS on the side. And they free range. Having slightly higher protein in the feed ration allows for some flexibility with treats without worrying too much about throwing the balance off. You should never offer more than 10% of their total ration in treats.

If you have VERY cold weather, corn digests hot and is a nice bed time winter snack.

It would also be OK to stick with a starter or grower type feed that has more protein and less calcium than layer which is usually 16% protein and 4% calcium. Whatever is available in your area that meets the needs of your flock is fine. Like I said though, avoid layer if you are keeping the boy. If you have chicks in the future you won't have to switch feeds. It is easiest to feed everyone the same. And always leave the OS on the side and not mixed in. Even if the boy samples, he won't OD. [​IMG]

That is probably your first and most important step to ensuring health. 4 month old birds don't usually seem that meaty to me. And I think of Ayam Cremenis as a game type bodied bird or slender, though I don't know if that's true. The keel bone seems prominent on all of my birds. And in studies is actually what they rest on when lying down. [​IMG]

Also, not sure about the sleeping. That is something you will wanna keep an eye on as it doesn't sound normal. They may be still adjusting to their new environment. Did you quarantine from the rest of your flock? You can do short term electrolytes just for a boost. Recipe is 1/2 teaspoon each baking soda and salt, 2 tablespoons brown (or white) sugar, and 2 cups warm water. Stir to dissolve and serve full strength.

Best wishes!

6. Peep-Chicken

Jun 10, 2013
    Michigan
    My Coop
    Thank you for all of the info! I don't plan on keeping the cockerel, but maybe I'll still switch feed regardless.
    Yes they were quarentined. I'll keep an eye on it.

7. EggSighted4Life

Maybe you can sell the cockerel for a profit. Don't know how much you paid, but they are a fairly rare breed.

Nice job, quarantining. [​IMG]

8. Peep-Chicken

Jun 10, 2013
    Michigan
    My Coop
    Thanks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by