Skinny chickens

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Badhbh, Jan 5, 2009.

1. Badhbh

Badhbh Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2007
    Southern Indiana
    So all my chickens are getting over (mostly) a bout with MG. They're all WAY too skinny. It's startling to see how much weight they lost, even though they were eating. Their diet is free choice layer crumbles, and scratch in the evenings. What can I give them to put on weight? I hate picking the poor things up and feeling all those bones sticking out, and i'm afraid that the babies will have permanent health issues if they don't get some weight on them.

2. Barry

Barry Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:If they always have food and water available, it may not be a feed problem.
    I would suspect worms to be more likely. Check for available worm meds at your feed store if they have never been treated before.

3. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

I hope the more experienced owners will get in here soon. Based on an understanding of gneral animal nutrition, I'm saying that protein is your friend. If you stick to your commercial ration, make sure they have grit and if layer oyster unless it's in the feed, then add things like

yogurt
    ground meat
    boiled eggs

you should see a turnaround quickly.

Please let us know how it goes. I agree that immediate intervention will matter.

What's MG?

4. Farm Frenzy

Farm Frenzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Oak Hill, Florida
    I read in a book somewhere a guy had a problem with weight gain on his chickens and it is a protein problem. He went to the store and got beef liver and cut it up real good for his chickens. They devoured it and LOVED IT!!! It could also be a worm problem, and that would SUCK!!!

5. Badhbh

Nov 16, 2007
    Southern Indiana
    I'll check and see if my vet can test for worms. I haven't seen anything unusual in their stool, other than it being runny. That's likely from the illness though. I'll also check in to protein loading. Would a gamebird ration work or should I concentrate on meat proteins?

6. chookchick

chookchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2008
    Olympia WA
    So glad to hear that your outbreak is almost over! Please have a fecal float done before you decide to worm them--it can be very hard on their digestive tract, which is the last thing you need. Also check for mites, etc...in their weakened position.

7. Badhbh

Nov 16, 2007
    Southern Indiana
    Oh there are leg mites. I found a silkie yesterday with them. It never ends, I swear. I put down sevin dust to try and head off the mites.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by