Skinny Chickens

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Harri71, Dec 14, 2011.

1. Harri71

Harri71 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 14, 2011
    Leicester
    Hi, I need some advice on how to get some weight onto my chickens quickly.

I now have 5 of the little beasties (a black maran, speckledy maran, brown ranger, white sussex a bluebelle) We did have a cream legbar, but we had to have her put down after a dramatic & catastrophic loss in weight & respiratory infection.

When I was nursing her, I noticed that all of the others felt a little under weight (in fact speckledy hen caught a cold & had to see the vet, who confirmed that she was underweight). They are all free range & get kitchen scraps too, we wormed them all when we lost the legbar (about 3 weeks ago), they have a free feeder which I have switched back to growers pellets at my vets suggestion, have seed & meal worm scatter (about a good handful each every day) & a handful of high energy suet treats a day each too, but they just don't seem to be putting any weight on & I am worried that when it gets colder (we have had a couple of nights of -3ish) they wont have enough meat on them to survive the winter.

They wander round still being their normal mental selves, tails up & really nosey!

Maybe I'm just being a little paranoid after losing one of them, but just feel a little helpless at the moment.

Oh yeah they are all about 7 months old, 2 of them are laying, the other 3 not yet (speckledy hen is a late bloomer & hasn't developed her comb yet)

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Did you check for lice or mites?

3. Harri71

Harri71 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 14, 2011
    Leicester
    Yep, they had a few red mites which we have successfully treated [​IMG]

4. stormylady

stormylady Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2008
    Illinois
    I don't know if your suppose to do this exactly but I started mixing meatbird in with the layer feed and added extra calsium to the feed as well for the winter months and they've really put on some weight, and doing great, I don't do it during the summer and spring months just when it gets cold I want them to have the energy to keep warm. [​IMG] Everybody is happy and healthy!

They weren't skinny to start with, Just wanted to keep the weight on for them to be able to keep warm, since I don't heat the coop nor does it have insulation in there.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2011
  5. groundpecker

groundpecker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2011
    Rison, Arkansas
    Use Gamebird feed mixed in with laying pellets. You can also try adding proteins such as meat to their diet.

6. <3 N.C Chicken Chick <3

<3 N.C Chicken Chick <3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2011
    Jacksonville N.C
    Dosen't scratch add weight? [​IMG]

7. stormylady

stormylady Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2008
    Illinois
    <3 N.C Chicken Chick <3 :

Dosen't scratch add weight? [​IMG]

Yes it does, but there isn't very much nutrition for them. Thats why most people that I know only feed it as a treat and not a main food source. I think what you need is protein and their is next to none if any in scratch.​

8. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    Worm the chickens and feed 'em a round of game bird feed which is usually over 20% protein.

9. WhiteMountainsRanch

WhiteMountainsRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    What did you de-worm them with?

Mine were getting skinny and I de-wormed them... still skinny, no luck, then I realized my wormers weren't working! [​IMG]

As soon as I treid a new kind they all gained their weight back.

10. <3 N.C Chicken Chick <3

<3 N.C Chicken Chick <3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2011
    Jacksonville N.C
    Thanks. What about flock raiser? [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by