Skinny Chickens

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by StelleKitten, Mar 12, 2013.

1. StelleKitten

StelleKitten Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2012
    Granbury, Tx
    Okay, I'm tired of trying to figure this one out alone.

I have 5 adult chickens.

1 Bantam White Cochin Roo (he was nearly bald when we got him, so not sure of his age)
    1 Bantam Wellsummer Hen (she is three or four)
    1 Barred Rock Hen (6 months old, from a random asst at TSC)
    1 Black Australorp Roo (same as the barred rock hen)
    1 Mystery Roo (same as the barred rock hen)

All of them except for my wellsummer hen are skinny. I mean, their breast bone is sticking out they are so skinny. I've moved them back to grower feed, oyster shell is free choice, plenty of rocks for digestion (I don't have a lot of dirt, mostly rocks where I live), and I am mixing a 10 lb bag of black oil sunflower seeds into their 25 lb bag of feed. They have acv in their water and plenty of stuff to munch on besides the feed (vegetable scraps, and any starch scraps). They are in their coop at night and roam the yard during the day. The white cochin is on a tie out and sleeps alone in his own shelter because he's a butthead. Attacks everyone who goes near him, people and chickens alike.

The two younger roos have a limp on one foot that I can't figure out the cause of. There isn't any swelling that I can see, no injuries that I can see or feel, and I don't see any evidence of scale mites.

The only thing I haven't done that I can think of, is to deworm them. I just don't know what to deworm with since I don't see worms in their poos. And we have plenty of healthy poops. All over the place.

We don't have runny noses, impacted crops (let their crops empty to make sure, they were not happy with me that day), I don't see any strange behaviors.

This isn't a dire emergency as they don't seem to be lethargic, they have plenty of energy as far as I can tell. Their combs are nicely colored and wattles as well.

If you need more information please let me know.

2. Suzie

Suzie Overrun With Chickens

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    I would suggest that you do worm them with a product such as Albendazole. You do not have to wait to see worms... if you do see them it means that you have a heavy infestation which would make your chickens very ill indeed.

As for lice and mites... I would treat all with Sevin or Permethryn as a matter of course, you cannot always see mites, they hide in cracks and crevices during the day and will feed off your chickens overnight in the coop.

3. StelleKitten

Jun 27, 2012
    Granbury, Tx
    I've got sevin dust out and they were dusted last week. Do I need to do it again or does it work for a while (until they get wet)? Where do you get Albendazole?

I guess what is bothering me, is why the littlest chicken is the fattest. She is almost overweight for her size it seems.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2013
  4. Suzie

Suzie Overrun With Chickens

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    It would be a good idea to treat them for mites etc 7-10 days after the first treatment as any eggs will hatch by then.

I am not in the USA so I do not know where you would purchase Albendazole... you may find this for sale locally where you live or it may be a prescription only medication... I buy my de-wormer from a Veterinary practise... maybe try ebay too...

I am sure somebody can tell you where to purchase it.. sorry I cannot help you further.

5. StelleKitten

Jun 27, 2012
    Granbury, Tx
    It's okay. What types of worms does that dewormer treat? I'm looking right now for where I could possibly get it.

6. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

Albendazole is sold as Valbazen and gets *all* worms, but it cannot be used in pigeons, doves and crias (can cause death and/or a type of anemia, I don't remember). Some feed stores carry it.

Another good wormer is Safeguard, but it does not get tapeworms. It's sold as liquid for goats and cattle and paste for horses. The active ingredient is 10% Fenbendazole. TSC carries both liquid and paste. I dose mine with either the liquid or the paste at .05cc/kg (50mg/kg) once and repeat on ten days. Fenbendazole should not be used during a molt because it can cause the feathers to come in "weird". FWIW, I have used it on some that we're molting and they are just fine.

7. StelleKitten

Jun 27, 2012
    Granbury, Tx
    Thank you guys, will be getting some dewormer this payday.

8. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Don't let them talk you into buying Wazine, it only gets roundworms.

9. StelleKitten

Jun 27, 2012
    Granbury, Tx
    Okay. I won't get wazine. Another thing, is that white rooster.... Grrr I just don't know what to do about him. I just took some water out to him (he had dumped his last bowl) and he attacked the water bucket. Tore it all up. I swear he has lost his little bitty mind.

10. Kilsharion

Kilsharion Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2013
    Landstown
    My Coop

....not too young/old to visit mister cone....

Last edited: Mar 12, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by