Skinny chickens

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by FarmGirl21, Oct 9, 2008.

1. FarmGirl21

FarmGirl21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2008
    WA
    A few of my smaller chickens are pretty skinny from being sick & aren't putting weight back on like the others. What is a good food or supplement or something else to help put weight back on. it's getting colder & they have the heat lamp on them at night but I'm still really worried about them.

2. LauraSBale

LauraSBale Chillin' With My Peeps

Mix up some Cracked corn, Oats, Flaxseed, and if you have any dried Peppermint, (you can also use the peppermint tea, as long as its only peppermint in the ingredients).
    you only need 1 or 2 tea bags or 1 to 2 tablespoons, to about 5 to 6 lb of the mix.

the peppermint, increases appetite, and sooth there tummy's if any thing is upsetting their tummy's.

3 lbs corn
    2 lbs oats
    1/2 lb flax

I would give about 1/4 of a cup to each Chick a day Plus there regular feed

probably give it before they go to bed, so there not using up energy from the food during the day, and they will have full tummy's before going in for the night

Maybe some else will have better idea to

3. CUDA

CUDA Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2008
    Michigan
    You sure they don't have worms?

4. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

Be sure they are getting enough protein. I suspect that appropriate crumbles or pellets with something like yogurt would be good....

5. ginasmarans

ginasmarans Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    West Tn
    Calf Manna is supposed to help,but I would make sure they don't have worms.

6. FarmGirl21

FarmGirl21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2008
    WA
    I am going to order some DE today...i was going to use pumpkin seeds but i was worried they would just eat the worms afterwards :-/...then i'd be right back where i started. Im gonna pick up some higher protein feed today & some other things for them. Has anyone ever used Avia Charge? I was thinking of getting some for them since theyre in such bad shape.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by