skinny chickens

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by purpleangel761, Oct 23, 2008.

1. purpleangel761

purpleangel761 New Egg

Oct 23, 2008
    Louisiana
    please tell me what causes chickens to be really skinny and weak but they are eating? And I have a 105 chickens 8 months old. are they old enough to be laying eggs now? thanks

2. chickaboom

chickaboom Out Of The Brooder

Oct 15, 2008
    WV
    How big is your chicken area?
    What kind of chickens do you have?

3. katrinag

katrinag Chillin' With My Peeps

What are you feeding? Are you leaving them food all the time? Do they free range?

4. basicliving

basicliving Keepin' the sunny side up

Mar 20, 2008
    Shenandoah Valley, VA
    Are these the same chickens with no tail feathers?

Penny

5. purpleangel761

purpleangel761 New Egg

Oct 23, 2008
    Louisiana
    I have about 105 assorited chickens. The ones with no tails are not the ones sick . The pen is big 90 feet maybe by 60 feet. It wraps around the backof the house. Shape of a letter L. and we let them out each evening to get grass and hunt bugs and what ever. We live in woods kind of.They eat chops,laying pellets and hen scratch mixed together. We have Top Hatters, Cochins, Sussex, ones that lay colored eggs,Light Brahmas ,Columbian Wyandottes, Asssorited Orpingtons, phonex and alot more.

6. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    They need to have feed and water available 24/7. If they have this and are still thin, you've got a medical issue. There are many, many diseases which cause weight loss or unthriftiness without other symptoms. You'll need to observe them closely, check their poo...do you see anything unusual, or is the poo normal?

7. katrinag

katrinag Chillin' With My Peeps

So you are saying that they are locked up all day then go out for a little bit at night in the 90x60 pen?
    That right there might be the problem. Stress.
    What size is there coop?
    Check there poo and see it it is a worm problem.
    Keep fresh food and water 24/7.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by