Skinny cold duck

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by jruhle, Dec 4, 2013.

1. jruhle

jruhle Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2012
    I have a small duck that has always looked pretty rough and dirty. I brought it inside since it's shivering from our Alaskan winter. It's very skinny with sparse feathering but it eats well and bites although It can't run well. Any ideas? Maybe she's old or sick?

2. HollyDuckFarmer

HollyDuckFarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2012
    LP Michigan
    Could be either or possibly something else. I think nutrition will be the place to start. Are you willing/able to keep this duck indoors for awhile? Do you have other ducks? I would switch that duck over to a higher protein feed for a short while to promote feather development and then go from there.

3. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I agree -keep her warmer for a time, vitamins, a little extra protein, I like adding flax seed meal to their feed sometimes.

4. jruhle

jruhle Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2012
    I have 14 ducks most of them are thriving I was given a few that have always looked a bit sickly. Going to mix catfood in the mix for winter. They had grapes for breakfast!

5. HollyDuckFarmer

HollyDuckFarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2012
    LP Michigan
    Well remember, grapes lack protein. Best thing I think is a good feed, that will balance all the amino acids and vitamins and protein. Some extra protein for awhile should not hurt, it should support faster feather development. Cat food is ok, in my experience. I had a duck stuck in a molt for literally months until I gave her just a few pieces of cat kibble. 3 days of that and her molt was finished. So it's been 3 days, how are things now?

1 person likes this.
  6. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    How long have you had her? so no one else is like her? is she at the bottom of the pecking order and not getting enough feed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by