Skinny female Pekin- Unhealthy?***PICS ADDED 1-28-10**

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by sticksoup, Jan 11, 2010.

1. sticksoup

sticksoup Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    Bradenton
    Hi- I have two Pekins- boy and girl, probably about 9 month old now (full grown and laying). The drake is healthy as a horse, good looking, and feisty. The girl has me concerned. She feels half his size- skinny and her feathers are not nearly as full- especially her wing feathers which feel stiff. She has a tendancy to look wet~ which makes me wonder if she's not able to oil herself properly. She has lots of energy and spunk and doesn't act sick- but she just does not look as good as her mate. We feed them chicken feed (if they eat it) and they free range all day. I can't find duck food and they are not interested in regular bird feed. On the other hand, I give them noodle treats every day which I figure is bad but now they beg so obnoxiously for the noodles I'm afraid I'm at a loss.

Can anyone recommend what I should be feeding them? Is it common for the female to be half the size of the male? When I pick her up she has no meat on her- but she is a fantastic layer. She lays every day- and the eggs have super hard shells- very hard to break.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 28, 2010
  2. rainplace

rainplace Interstellar Duck Academy

pictures of the two of them together would help a lot.

3. Duck_feeder

Duck_feeder Drowning in feathers!

Oct 22, 2009
    Chicago
    She could just be small. When you pick her up, feel the breast area to see if there's a good amount of muscle there. A healthy duck's chest should be bulge out slightly. If it feels sunken in, the duck is underweight and possibly malnourished.

4. sticksoup

Feb 23, 2009
    Bradenton
    She has quite a pronounced bump generally. That encourages me~ Thank you! I'll put up pics if that will help.

5. sticksoup

Feb 23, 2009
    Bradenton
    I added pics in first post~ including a close up of her wing. Any advice?

6. Shadowhills Farm

Shadowhills Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Crystal River, Fl
    Oh gosh, not to jack your thread sticksoup, but my Pekin has that indent Nettie was talking about [​IMG]

I can take pics if you want.

7. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator~~~ BYC Store Support Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    I don't see anything out of the ordinary. She looks fine, just petite.

8. PlumTuckered

PlumTuckered Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2007
    Arkansas
    I have a drake and 3 girls. My drake is the size of a Jumbo Pekin and so is one of the gals. The other Gals are the size of full grown regular Pekins but look puny compared to the other two LOL You might havea jumbo and a regular there. To me it just looks like your gal needs a good swim so she can preen and clean herself.
    Michelle

9. CityChicker

CityChicker Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    I agree with everyone else, she looks great. She is probably just naturally smaller than the drake. There are numerous strains of Pekins that vary quite a bit in size. If she is laying an egg almost every day, she is probably healthy. Somewhat unlike chickens, a duck hen that is unhealthy will frequently stop or severely limit laying.

10. sticksoup

Feb 23, 2009
    Bradenton
    Thank you everyone! I won't worry about her and I'm sure she'll be flattered when I tell her she's "Petite". [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by