Skinny hen seems healthy but...?

PlumPerfectChickens

In the Brooder
Jul 26, 2021
I have a flock of six and they’re all full bodied, healthy and good layers. I have one RIR that just quite skinny. We call her rhode runner cause she is very speedy and looks like a roadrunner always running around. She is skinner than our other birds. Still laying daily although missing a patch of feathers on her neck. She acts normal/spirited, eats well, doesn’t seem like she’s being bullied. Should I treat for mites (didn’t see any) or worms (no real indications). Any advice? Or should I just wait n see?

Can you post a photo of her? Are you positive she's a RIR? She could be a light breed of some sort (as opposed to a heavy breed which RIR's would be considered). She may just be a finer bird and unless she is acting unwell I wouldn't be too concerned.

Can you post a photo of her? Are you positive she's a RIR? She could be a light breed of some sort (as opposed to a heavy breed which RIR's would be considered). She may just be a finer bird and unless she is acting unwell I wouldn't be too concerned.
I will post a pic tomorrow morning! She was a set of two and the other is much bigger and heavier. She still lays an egg a day though! 🤷🏼‍♀️

5A2DC25E-CB48-43B3-B4D0-DFC5C53E8F73.jpeg

Just found this on my camera roll! You can see the patch on her neck and that she’s thin...

Should I treat for mites (didn’t see any) or worms (no real indications). Any advice? Or should I just wait n see?
Don't treat for anything that is not obviously a problem.

If she's active and eating well, laying well, then I wouldn't worry. Her coloring looks good and I don't see anything obviously wrong with her. Some birds are just lighter than others, even of the same breed.
Ditto Dat!

Back
Top Bottom