Skinny hen unwell, no other symptoms

eikome

Songster
Apr 26, 2018
Upstate NY
I have a 3.5 year old Easter Egger hen that's not well. It's winter weather here (upstate NY) and she stopped laying at the end of summer when she began molting. Her feathers are in beautiful condition. When I checked on the hens today, she had her wings and tail dropped and she was lethargic. I checked her over and she's extremely thin. Like, shockingly skin-and-bones thin. She's normally flighty and hard to catch and I don't often get a chance to pick her up so I didn't notice how thin she had gotten in the last few weeks :( She's weak, but eating and drinking okay on her own. Her crop fills with food normally and is soft. Poops are normal color & consistency, but on the small side. No breathing problems or wheezing, no mites, no eye, vent, or feet problems, not eggbound. Whole flock is regularly dewormed. Overall she looks completely normal, except for the lethargy and low weight.

Other than bringing her in where it's warmer and fattening her up with good food and extra vitamins (already being done), anything else I should be doing?

What kinds of things can cause severe weight loss without any other symptoms? Could my other hens be resource guarding so badly that she can't keep on weight? She is bottom of the pecking order.

There have been no recent changes to the flock or coop or daily routine, other than the weather turning colder.

Also, FWIW, this hen had been laying huge (80g) eggs every other day for the past 3 years. I feel like that could have taken a pretty big toll on the old gal. Hopefully it's not her time to go yet, she's a beautiful hen.

I appreciate any insight. Thanks!

Hello! I just went through something similar with my girl, she's molting and hasn't been eating well, lost a good amount of weight. I alternated adding rooster booster and nutri drench to their water for about five days, I kept them in their run every other day, also gave them a portion of raw pumpkin to all peck at. For her specifically I fed a raw yolk in the morning and on the fourth day I added a spoonful of kefir. She's really turned around 💗

Can you feel of her crop in the early mornings to see if it is emptying overnight? It should fill up gradually during the day with solid food. Crop disorders can cause sudden weight loss, but cancer and reproductive disorders can also be common at her age. Does she have granite poultry grit available to help with digestion?

Can you feel of her crop in the early mornings to see if it is emptying overnight? It should fill up gradually during the day with solid food. Crop disorders can cause sudden weight loss, but cancer and reproductive disorders can also be common at her age. Does she have granite poultry grit available to help with digestion?
Thank you! I think you're right about her crop. I checked her before she was up and eating this morning and it was still pretty full of food :( It's not hard, still soft and malleable, but it must be the root of her problems. The hens do always have granite grit and oyster shell available, so I'm not quite sure what's caused her issue, but hopefully I can fix it.

Can you press slightly on her crop and smell her breath? Does it smell sour or bad? Try feeding some egg, and plain unsweetened yogurt. Softened watery mushy chicken feed is good too. If you have coconut oil, you can chill a little and feed her some cut up pieces up to a tsp twice a day. This is an article that is good for crop problems:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

Can you press slightly on her crop and smell her breath? Does it smell sour or bad? Try feeding some egg, and plain unsweetened yogurt. Softened watery mushy chicken feed is good too. If you have coconut oil, you can chill a little and feed her some cut up pieces up to a tsp twice a day. This is an article that is good for crop problems:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/
Thank you for that link, it was a great read. She doesn't seem to have sour crop or impacted crop, although I tried treating for both just in case. I think she's probably got a pendulous crop (or some other growth or something) that's preventing her crop from functioning correctly. Unfortunately I fear I caught it too late and she's just lost too much weight to recover. Thank you for all of your help!

Crop issues can be related to some other problems that cause pressure in the abdomen, such as cancer, reproductive infections, internal laying, or liver problems and ascites (water belly.) Prolonged broody spells or molting can also cause weight loss. I would try to feed her some egg and other extra proteins.

Back
Top Bottom