Skinny Hens.....Food/water available always!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kbaij, Jan 8, 2010.

1. kbaij

kbaij Out Of The Brooder

Jul 10, 2008
    Some of my hens are quite thin, they seem to be feeling fine. I feed a complete layer crumble, with a separate feeder filled with crushed oyster shell and a medium grit, (I have the feeder separated with a partition) I have a mix of breeds-5 barred rock, 5 black star, 5 RIR's-these will be 2yrs in July, 15 ameraucana, 1 is a rooster-they will be 1 in May. The Ameraucanas are all a good weight. The girls that are thin are 1 barred rock, and two black star. I have watched to make sure that the more aggressive ameraucanas are not taking over the feed, but I see everyone eating together! I checked the thinnest two last night and they both had food in their crop, so they are eating. Some of them had mites last fall, they were hard to get rid of, but I think we are all clear now. Everyone was in good shape after that! I fed them oats to help regain some weight after they had mites and molted at about the same time...poor girls!!![​IMG] I'm a little worried about feeding the oats along with their complete feed-kind of like offering the kids broccoli or ice cream, not to many broccoli takers! I add DE to their oyster shell and grit- could they possibly have worms? As always I need your help...Thank You to everyone that has helped me in the pastand who will be helping me now!!!

2. La Mike

La Mike (Always Slightly Off)

Nov 20, 2009
    louisiana
    I think i would check for worms

3. kbaij

kbaij Out Of The Brooder

Jul 10, 2008
    I don't see any signs of worms in their feces, I can take a sample in to the vet, but I want to make sure that I get one from the right chicken.

4. La Mike

La Mike (Always Slightly Off)

Nov 20, 2009
    louisiana
    That should be fun [​IMG]

5. parrillofarms

parrillofarms Out Of The Brooder

Dec 11, 2009
    vermont, il
    i agree look for worms in the manure. you might also want to seperate the skinny birds from the others and feed them a higher protein ration.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by