Skinny, malformed, odd, weird, feathers - not sure if genetic or environmental cause

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Imprfctme, Aug 11, 2014.

1. Imprfctme

Imprfctme Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2011
    Denton County, TX
    Hi, I have noticed some odd feathers on my Red Sex Link hen on both of her wings. Recently they seem to have gotten worse, i.e., they have become more skinny than before. It doesn't seem to bother her, and none of my other hens have similar feathers. I have examined her and haven't seen any poultry lice activity or mites. Any ideas behind what could be causing this? She is almost 1 yr old, so maybe when she molts again they won't grow back this way. I've just never seen these before. Any insights much appreciated, thanks!

[​IMG]

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    If you have a rooster, that can happen with overmating.

3. Imprfctme

Aug 27, 2011
    Denton County, TX
    Nope, no roosters!

4. Zoofee

Zoofee Out Of The Brooder

Mar 13, 2013
    Inwood, WV
    Have you checked them for lice?

5. Imprfctme

Aug 27, 2011
    Denton County, TX
    I did check for lice, and didn't see any signs of it. As I mentioned all the other hens are fine. Maybe this is just a weird genetic "flip" that this one has?

6. mightymax

mightymax Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2013
    Central Coast, CA
    If it is genetic, then your bird and my bird should be related...lol !!!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Somebody (I can recall who) told me that this is the result of an 'incomplete molt'. That those needle-like feathers you see are actually the leftover shaft from their emerging pin feathers that they didn't completely shed. I don't know if it's true or not, but since my roo lacked any other signs of illness, it sounded good to me! [​IMG] What do you think...???

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by