Skinny point of lay birds

Fuzzyllama

In the Brooder
Apr 30, 2018
Hi there, I am new to chicken keeping so I'm not sure if it's normal to expect POL hybrid birds to be a bit skinny.

We picked them up a week ago and they are settling in nicely, eating plenty of layers pellets, a little corn and greens. But when I've been handling them I've noticed they feel quite small, so I'm just wondering if that's normal and if they will fill out more as they mature ?

Hard to judge their condition without pictures. Just provide feed ad lib, and hopefully they will fill out.

Can you collect some fresh poop and bring it to a vet to test for worms?

I agree, have a fecal checked at the veterinarian's. Also look hard for mites or lice and treat them if even one is found on one bird.
Layer feed is not improved by adding corn and stuff, and shouldn't be fed, if at all, until all the birds are laying eggs. Consider an all-flock feed that's 18% to 20% protein, and have oyster shell separately for any laying birds who need it.
Leghorn type birds are 'thin' compared to dual purpose heritage type breeds too.
Mary

IMG_7147.JPG
IMG_7149.JPG
IMG_7148.JPG

Here they are, I think they look fine just feel very light and thin, all except the blue one. Will speak to vet about testing the poop. We checked them over and there are no visible signs of mites/lice/fleas :)

Back
Top Bottom