Skinny pullet/hen sick?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by RedReiner, Dec 17, 2010.

1. RedReiner

RedReiner Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2010
    Monroe, Wa
    I dont know if she is sick, she has been bony ever since I got her, she eats like a pig (her name is piggy) and is/was very active, chases me all over, was head hen in the house. She ruled all. today and yesterday, she has kind of slowed down some, today I see her now and then hunched up like she is cold while the others scratch about. Its about 45 here today but a bit windy. but when I call her she pops right up and runs over to see if I have bread. so I caught her and she is still bony as hec, nothing to her. checked for mites and lice, she is clean. her feathers are a bit bedraggled looking and she looks like she is trying to molt but not really (yeah I know that makes sense doesnt it lol) her crop has stuff in it, off to one side, she hasnt started laying yet but should be soon, she is 7 months old. comb has been red for a couple weeks. checked her vent, nothing there. the gal I got her from worms with ivermec and said they were all wormed before she gave them to me. should I worm her again? and with what? chicken vitamins? she has not gained any weight since I got her and she eats well, and I give them lots of scraps along with layer pellets, scratch, and oyster shell free choice. clean water. she hasnt really grown much more either while the two younger pullets have almost doubled in size.
    I should add that I have added 3 more hens from the same flock since I got her, she squared off for boss hen with all, and kept her status until last week when big blue would not take her crap and held her down every time she tried to pick on her, big blue does not pick on anyone but they get out of her way when she walks through. I think the lost feathers on piggys neck are from pecking order on the roost at night. any ideas? why wont she gain weight????

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I read others on here talk about failure to thrive, not saying that is what she has, but you might check exactly when they were wormed and if they were wormed for round worms I don't think ivermec will kill them.

3. RedReiner

Nov 7, 2010
    Monroe, Wa
    What do you worm for round worms with? she had a watery clearish poop today...I read a thread about poop...ummm eew...anyway what can I get for that? these are my first chickens and to be honest, piggy is my favorite, she follows me everywhere and if I call her she runs to find me.
    here is a pic, you can see she has kind of a pointy bony breast even in this pic.

[​IMG]

4. RedReiner

Nov 7, 2010
    Monroe, Wa
    I am going to go search the sight, but in the meantime, what do you worm them with? my friend said she hadnt wormed these ones before she gave them to me [​IMG] what do you use?

5. RedReiner

Nov 7, 2010
    Monroe, Wa
    just an update, I wormed with ivermec pour on, She is still thin but not lethargic anymore, I went ahead and did all of them with the pour on. Piggy is back to her piggy little self, and follows me everywhere again.
    some people say they dont toss the eggs with pour on ivermec and some say they do. I am undecided still......

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by