Skinny Pullets

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Adeerie, Dec 27, 2016.

1. Adeerie

Adeerie New Egg

Dec 27, 2016
    taneyville, mo
    Hi, I have 2 pullets I am quite worried about. Both of them are bantam Cochins that I have acquired in the past few weeks. One that I am particularly concerned about is a partridge girl. She is so skinny she barely weighs anything. She eats and drinks and acts normal but her comb and waddle are nearly white they are so pale. I have had her about 3 weeks and I cannot seem to put weight on her and she actually looks paler now. The other is a black pullet I bought a week ago and she is feisty but also rather thin. Both are in quarantine for the time being.

Does anyone have any tips on how to get them to gain weight? I am so worried I am going to lose the partridge.

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    [​IMG] Have they been wormed ? Are you certain that they have no external parasites ?

3. Adeerie

Adeerie New Egg

Dec 27, 2016
    taneyville, mo
    I have checked for mites and saw no signs of them but I have not worked them. What can I use for that?

4. Adeerie

Adeerie New Egg

Dec 27, 2016
    taneyville, mo
    Sorry I meant wormed not worked lol

5. runt325

runt325 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2016
    I have the same problem

6. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Welcome to BYC!

What type of food/treats are you feeding them?
    Any idea on their age?
    Have they started laying eggs?
    What does their poop look like?

Any photos[​IMG]

It may be a good idea to take a fecal sample to your vet for testing of parasites (worms) would be a good idea.

Offer them some poultry vitamins in their water a couple of times a week.

Keep us posted.

7. Adeerie

Adeerie New Egg

Dec 27, 2016
    taneyville, mo
    I have them on layer crumbles. They have been getting leftover veggies and a lot of pumpkin here lately. The partridge is about 5 months and the black is about 4 months. They are not laying yet. Poop looks normal.

8. Adeerie

Adeerie New Egg

Dec 27, 2016
    taneyville, mo
    I will try to take pictures tomorrow

9. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    You may want to give them either chick starter or an all flock/flock raiser feed (18-20% protein). These are usually higher in protein than layer feed. Once they start laying you can offer oyster shell free choice for their calcium needs or switch to layer feed. What happens with lower protein feed, when you give anything else (scraps, veggies, etc.), this will reduce the amount of protein intake, so this is a possibility of why they are so skinny.

There can be other reasons for not putting on weight, like worms, lice/mites or illness, but you always want to evaluate your food intake first.

I feed my hens a flock raiser formula (20% protein) year round with oyster shell free choice. This way I can give a little extra scratch, veggies, fruits and greens daily, without worrying about compromising their protein/nutrient intake.

10. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Try feeding this way.......

Grower Crumbles and fresh water.......Treats once a week at 5% of daily ration...1 Tablespoon per Bird a day......

Not getting a balanced diet.....Once they lay eggs, put on layer mixed 50/50 with grower depending on the protein level of the layer....Until one years old.......

Cheers!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by