Skinny Rhode Island Reds protruding breastbone !!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Chickobsessed17, Oct 31, 2015.

1. Chickobsessed17

Chickobsessed17 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 26, 2015
    Florida
    I've been through the gamut of sickness I have three Jersey Giants and four baby ameracaunas all with a respiratory infection and nasty goopy eyes on Meds in a separate cage. I have a Rhode Island red with a protruding breastbone who is eating everything in sight . We got four Ri Reds six weeks ago and they were laying before they came to our house none of them are Laying now. I just had a 7 mth old bantam brahma die of Mareks last week. A previously laying Astralorp from the same guy with the RI reds died two weeks before that with NO symptoms. So discouraged! I have three fayoumis about 12 weeks one with blisters on her face. We have a very clean yard, huge acre for them to free range. No signs of worms, normal poop. I'm at a loss. The skinny girl is being so needy, following me around begging for food. I've given eggs, meat, yogurt you name it. Help?!

First post ....[​IMG]

2. nchls school

nchls school Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2015
    Wow! Have you considered a vet? With so much going on at once there may be a linking factor. Good luck.

My guess is that you bought birds that were carrying disease...and it has spread.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2015
  3. Chickobsessed17

Chickobsessed17 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 26, 2015
    Florida
    The vet wants 50$ a bird. I've already spent so much on medicine. I love them all but... 30 birds.... 50$... Yikes!

4. nchls school

nchls school Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2015

Yikes indeed! I'd take one bird to the vet (the one with the most symptoms) to find out what is wrong. Maybe with that information you could treat the rest. I wish I could give better advice. Hopefully another group member will respond.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by