Skinny Rhode Island Reds protruding breastbone !!!!

Chickobsessed17

In the Brooder
Oct 26, 2015
Florida
I've been through the gamut of sickness I have three Jersey Giants and four baby ameracaunas all with a respiratory infection and nasty goopy eyes on Meds in a separate cage. I have a Rhode Island red with a protruding breastbone who is eating everything in sight . We got four Ri Reds six weeks ago and they were laying before they came to our house none of them are Laying now. I just had a 7 mth old bantam brahma die of Mareks last week. A previously laying Astralorp from the same guy with the RI reds died two weeks before that with NO symptoms. So discouraged! I have three fayoumis about 12 weeks one with blisters on her face. We have a very clean yard, huge acre for them to free range. No signs of worms, normal poop. I'm at a loss. The skinny girl is being so needy, following me around begging for food. I've given eggs, meat, yogurt you name it. Help?!

First post ....

Wow! Have you considered a vet? With so much going on at once there may be a linking factor. Good luck.

My guess is that you bought birds that were carrying disease...and it has spread.

Last edited:
The vet wants 50$ a bird. I've already spent so much on medicine. I love them all but... 30 birds.... 50$... Yikes!

Yikes indeed! I'd take one bird to the vet (the one with the most symptoms) to find out what is wrong. Maybe with that information you could treat the rest. I wish I could give better advice. Hopefully another group member will respond.

The vet wants 50$ a bird. I've already spent so much on medicine. I love them all but... 30 birds.... 50$... Yikes!
I can sleep a very before I ever needed one and asked the price of a flock wellness check and it was cheaper than a per bird examination. Good luck and I'm sorry for your heavy losses.

I can sleep a very before I ever needed one and asked the price of a flock wellness check and it was cheaper than a per bird examination. Good luck and I'm sorry for your heavy losses.
I'm s sorry, what I meant * I called a very before I needed one.
I need to learn to proofread my Swype typing before I hit 'post'

Back
Top Bottom