skinny roos

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Sylverfly, Oct 24, 2011.

1. Sylverfly

Sylverfly Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2009
    Northeastern Michigan
    This is my first time raising meat birds. I picked Barred Rock roos because I wanted a Natural growing bird they are going to be 2 months at the end of October. I feed them multiple times a day much more then I feed my laying hens...who are little fatties, and there are only a few more meat birds then laying hens in the other coop. The rocks look like they are almost the right size to process but when I pick them up you can clearly feel the breast bone on them. They look fat to the eye and are only really hungry first thing in the morning. They don't look like a skinny chicken if you know what I mean. So do they fill in later, or am I doing something wrong or is it because they grew so fast. I've already began feeding more and I've started giving them corn along with the feed.

Aso I've been feeding grower feed rather then grower/finisher do I need to switch. The grower has higher protein levels then the finisher.

2. Tracydr

Tracydr Chillin' With My Peeps

I don't think the heritage breeds really put on any fat until about 16-20 weeks of age. Right now, at 8 weeks, calories are still going to frame. Plus, you picked a breed that will never have much breast and may always have a prominent breast bone.

3. Sylverfly

Apr 29, 2009
    Northeastern Michigan
    Ok so keep feeding and wait a little longer and see what I get. Thanks

4. bigredfeather

bigredfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Yorkshire, Ohio
    Quote:In adding corn, you're actually lowering the protein level of what you're feeding. I would not give them any additional corn, as it will result in more fat and less meat.

5. kfacres

kfacres Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2011
    Quote:you get what you buy... and want..

people always talk how they want a 'heritage', or DP bird to eat, cuz they take longer to mature, taste better, or whatever.. then when they're skinny, taking forever to get to a butcherable state, or you can feel the breast bone.. they gripe cuz it's too slow, and compare them to the CX birds..

Your birds, will NEVER have the ammount of meat on their skeletons that a CX bird has.. and you will be able to feel the breast bone every single day of their life, regardless of ration, age, or any other circumstance.

6. Sylverfly

Apr 29, 2009
    Northeastern Michigan
    To kfacres I may be reading your tone wrong but I felt that was a rather rude post. I am not trying to Gripe, as I wrote in my post this is my first time trying to raise birds for meat and I wanted to ask a few questions and make sure I was doing everthing right. It is posts like yours that make people afraid to ask questions and results in inexperienced people making mistakes that hurt themselves and their birds. I am fine with a bird being less meaty if it sits well with my moral values, I did not want a "freak" created by man that would or could have a poor quality life due to our desire for easy quick meat. As I said before I am not complaining I just wanted to know if you can normally feel the birds breast bone at that age, if they will fill out more as they age...since my hens did not feel this way and I have the same kind of laying rock as the meat roos, and I wanted to know if I was feeding correctly. If you did not mean to seem so rude please think more about how your posts look to the person you are responding to.

7. booker81

booker81 Redneck Tech Girl

Apr 18, 2010
    Mid-MI
    Just so you know about what to expect -

Hatchery quality Barred Rock I think (can't remember anymore) at about 8 months old? About 4lbs dressed:
    [​IMG]

Hatchery quality SLW or RIR at about 15 week. About 3lbs dressed:
    [​IMG]

And a 7 week old Cornish X - about 5.5lbs dressed:
    [​IMG]

Now, I raise Cornish X, and I pick up free roosters in the area from people who know I will be processing them (we discuss my processing technique, and they are comfortable knowing I will take care and make it as stress free as possible).

I prefer the Cornish X now when I want a whole roast chicken. I like the other breeds better when I want a soup or stock chicken, though I'm not averse to roasting when under 20 weeks - it's just there is a LOT more dark meat and not as much breast. I'm the only dark meat eater in the family. After roasting the first bird pictured, we ate most of the meat, and then I simmered the bones and birds down for more stock.

Different birds for different strokes. I like to roast sometimes, and when I do, I like nice crunchy tender chicken skin - it's my chicken bacon. The older a bird gets, the tougher the skin. I like the Cornish skin better. My family likes the white meat, and the Cornish put a LOT of that out, but I like the dark meat on a DP better - it's more toothsome and has a TON more flavor. You can make an OK stock from a Cornish, but a DP stock, especially an older bird, just can't be beat, hands down.

As for feed, more protein will push to more meat, but pretty much all the roos I've eaten get layer feed since they're will layers. The above pic is about what you'll get with that.

8. kfacres

kfacres Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2011
    just facts.. not rude.. isn't it amazing how words can be taken... I get told that all the time... I wrote in amusement, nto rudeness..

anywyas, very few chickens, will you actually not be able to feel their breast bone.. heck if you push hard enough, you'll even feel one on the CX birds, or even my breeder Q standard Cornish.

9. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:I didn't take kfacres as rude, but you probably shouldn't say that meaties are freaks, all of mine have had a quality of life, that is why I raise them. Here are my Freedom Rangers at week 3 1/2
    [​IMG]
    I don't think think they look like they have a poor life, do they? They run around the yard all day, frolicking around the trees, bushes, garden, pond, have nice bedding, roosts, fresh water twice a day, two feeders for 12 hours and at 11 weeks they will supply me with the same quality food. My Cornish X's are treated the same way, they get a nice shady spot on the outside of our wooded lot. So just so you know (I'm not trying to be rude) this sets with my moral values. If you want the fry pan special then you are doing the right thing for your family, but if you want a nice big roaster you should try Freedom Rangers or CX's. I've tried both and don't like the stringiness of the heritage bird, I do like the nice big juicy meaties. And one more thing (again not being rude) quality of life is something you give it, my babies have that. Please don't stop asking question either, some people type and it just sounds rude to another, but in fact they are just misunderstood.
    Michele

Last edited: Oct 24, 2011
  10. just2rosey

just2rosey Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2011
    New Kent
    Thanks for your post booker81, those pics were so helpful.

I expected the Ameraucanas I dressed out the other day to look like the Rock in your pics, but they looked more like the 15 wk old RIR. [​IMG] I like that I didn't find any big blobs of fat inside these birds, but I would like a bird with more meat on its bones. Does anyone know how the freedom rangers compare dressed out to Rocks, Cornish, and Cornish X? I really want an old fashioned self sustaining flock that lays at a decent rate and gives me a nice bird for the freezer. Thanks for any recommendations.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by