1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

skinny sitting hen

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by bethsplace, Sep 9, 2009.

1. bethsplace

bethsplace Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2009
    my hen has been sitting since july 25 she first had one set of eggs and when they hatched I gave them back to my friend the eggs were on loan to get her to hopefully stop sitting well that didnt work so I got her some more eggs that when they hatch she can raise them herself. my question is she is very skinny any help on what I can do to make sure she stays healthy she has until sept 16 when they should start hatching hopefully! I never see her get off the nest to eat or drink that doesnt mean she is not and if I put food up in the hen house with her the others just eat it. i do go out and personally give her something, yogurt, blueberries, bread just for her but I know thats not enough.

2. TXmom

TXmom Chillin' With My Peeps

I was worried about my Silkie girl when she was sitting too...so I just took food to her all the time. I put crumbles in front of her, sometimes scratch...and a crumbled up hardboiled egg. Don't worry, she doesn't know that it's like an egg she's sitting on. [​IMG] But it's very good for them with protein, fat and vitamins. That will help keep her healthy.

3. Skitz

Skitz Skitz15k

Nov 11, 2008
    Texas
    well since my hen just got broody (today is her 4th or 5th day, I don't remember) every day I go out and pick her up (she gets mad) then I take her out of the nesting box and she goes to drink water, to eat, and to poop. Then after 30mins I take her back or she goes back to the nesting box by herself. That's how I do it lol

4. bethsplace

bethsplace Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2009
    thanks for the info, I did take her out some hard boiled egg mashed up some left over mash tators, and some watermelon. she loved the tators and eat every bit of the egg I will try to give her something more often through the day. I am so excited about them hatching next wednesday if it doesnt hurry up and get here I am going to pop![​IMG] I sure hope we end up with aleast one chick so she will quit sitting if we dont I think she will continue to sit [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by