Skinny/underweight pullet?

AlexEve

Chirping
May 9, 2020
Calgary, Alberta
I have a pullet who is about 9 months old. Over the past few weeks, I’ve noticed she’s become a little leaner than usual. When I pick her up she feels skinnier and lighter than she was before, and her two flock mates who are only 6 months old are considerably heavier than her and weigh more despite their age. She’s a Columbian Rock, supposed to be a heavy breed. She doesn’t act sick or lethargic, and acts as any normal chicken would. Is there a way I can fatten her up back to a healthy weight, or should I just let it be? Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

Attachments

• 5BF6B63D-CFEF-49F6-8920-A4F09B57D077.jpeg
    5BF6B63D-CFEF-49F6-8920-A4F09B57D077.jpeg
    345.7 KB · Views: 14
Do you know her laying status? Do you have a kitchen scale you can weigh her on and monitor over time?
She was laying just about every day, but has slowed down over the past few days. I think this is irrelevant though because she’s been kind lightweight before her laying slowed. I haven’t used an actual scale, but pick her up frequently and can tell she has lost a noticeable amount of weight

if she’s behaving normally, I wouldn’t stress too, too much. However , you might want to figure out the underlying cause of the weight loss. Can you give her a quick exam? Check the fluffy area between her legs and beneath her vent; see if it feels bloated at all. How about her crop? Is it emptying properly overnight? Also, how is her breathing? Does her mouth looks clean and clear? Her vent, too? How is her poop? Can you have it tested via fecal float by a vet? Have you looked her over for lice or mites?

if she’s behaving normally, I wouldn’t stress too, too much. However , you might want to figure out the underlying cause of the weight loss. Can you give her a quick exam? Check the fluffy area between her legs and beneath her vent; see if it feels bloated at all. How about her crop? Is it emptying properly overnight? Also, how is her breathing? Does her mouth looks clean and clear? Her vent, too? How is her poop? Can you have it tested via fecal float by a vet? Have you looked her over for lice or mites?
I can check most of those things out tomorrow. My best guess on her leanness might be an increase on feed protein (to give them a little extra boost throughout the winter), but not sure why that would cause weight loss. Thanks for the help, relieved to know she’s most likely fine! 😅

Back
Top Bottom