skinny with pus in eyes

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by rebecca100, Sep 11, 2009.

1. rebecca100

rebecca100 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2008
    Arkansas
    I got a chicken given to me and it was skinny when I got it and now it is weak with a thick pus looking stuff in it's eyes. It doesn't have a runny nose. It stands with it's eyes closed. I gave it some organic dewormer, yogurt and sugar water. Tomorrow i will give it some ivomec.

2. MandyH

MandyH You'll shoot your eye out!

3. boaz

boaz Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    Woodville, MS
  4. purpletree23

purpletree23 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2009
    Crusty eyes could be from a vitamin defiencey. Go to any pharmacy or walmart and get Poly Vi Sol baby vitamins. They are in liquid form. Get the formula WITHOUT IRON. If it is a chicken give 3 drops by beak in the morning and three drops at night. Get some contact lens storage solution. Again only a couple of bucks at walmart. Soak a cotton ball with the solution and gently hold it on the crusted eye until the gunk softens. Talk to the chicken softly while you do this. the last thing the poor thing needs is more stress. When the gunk softens gently wipe it off and use a fresh cotton ball as often as necessary. The solution will sooth the eye and contains gentle germ killers.

Get this girl fattened up. Make her scrambled eggs cooled and mixed with cottage cheese. One table spoon of this concoction twice a day is good. Mix some plain yogurt with cheerios and give each day. About a tablespoon is good. Make sure she has crushed oyster shell and chicken grit before you give her anything that is hard to 'digest'.

Give her a good quality chicken pellet and I know it sounds crazy but get some dry catfood. Borrow a cup from a neighbor. You won't need a whole bag. Cat food has a lot of protein. 5 pieces twice a day will do. Do anything you can to get her to eat. Corn on the cob is yummy and a little watermelon will give her fluids.

I know it sounds like a lot but it's really not. When she gets her strength back you can worm her but wait at least a month. Check her for mites and lice and treat with a poultry powder if needed or just go ahead and do it. I'ts been my experience that the chickens probably have them so why not treat especially if this one came from a not too good background.

5. rebecca100

rebecca100 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2008
    Arkansas
    She died today. i went to check on her and there were maggots falling OUT of her bottom and there were flies all over her, so my dh went ahead and put her down. She had some kind of internal problem. She hadn't laid yet, do I don't think it was a broken rotted egg inside. I had her 3 days. She was away from my others, and was definatley covered in mites along with the rest he gave me. I treated them and I am going to treat my others too even though they weren't around them in case they spread.

6. purpletree23

purpletree23 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2009
    I'm very sorry Rebecca....how horrible. I hope you have good luck with the rest of them. Take care.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by