Skinny

OCD

In the Brooder
9 Years
Apr 19, 2010
Bay Area
My chickens seem to be losing weight....they are thin in the keel area and my Wyandotte has a couple of bald spots on her breast. Is she molting? Is this normal? It's been raining a lot; but they are eating well and I am getting about 4 eggs a day from 6 chickens. Any info would be appreciated! Thanks!

migt wanta get yurself som good wormer. Nice water soluble wormer to. Now I dont know bout that bald spot, but ya might wanta check them birds fur lice mites and whatnot Id just go head and put some that diamateceous earth pouder or some seven garden powder down round the coop and dusting spots. I read som where that lice an mites and stuff can makeem thin suckn there blood and all that. Hope that helps:D

If you have seen a big pile of feathers in the coop or run, she is molting. 5 out of my 7 girls are in the process of molting right now. They did lose some weight, and with the loss of feathers they also looked a lot skinnier. Some of them acted really strange for about the first week of the molt. They stayed inside the coop all day long and didn't even want to eat treats. But eventually they will get back to normal and their new feathers are so beautiful!

mine loose a little weight in the winter because of the extra stess. I just up the protein and watch. I find the hens are more likely to do it because they still try to lay eggs .

Quote:
Hens pick feathers from breast area to make a nest. So where are you finding the feathers? All over the place - molt In a nest box = Hen going broody!

Depending on their age and your location, you might want to get a fecal test done, or worm the birds as a precaution.

Back
Top Bottom