1. jeezylolo

jeezylolo New Egg

Mar 5, 2014
    Hi I have a mixed flock of silky barred rocked and buffs. I recently had a frizzle that was very skinny and just up and died. She didnt have any symtoms other than being skinny. In the same coop my silky girl started getting skinny too and once I noticed I quarantined her and she ended up dying as well. Now my silky rooster is loosing weight and I dont want to lose him; does anyone know what could be the problem?

2. Handyhens

Handyhens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2014
    Kirkland, WA
    What are you feeding them? it could be lack of nutrients

3. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Are there any other symptoms (swelling, discharge, breathing noises, runny/off colored droppings, etc.)? And how old are the birds that are dying?

Since more than one bird is being affected, I would suspect worms. I would get a good wormer, such as Valbazen or Safeguard and worm all of your birds. Wazine and Ivermectin are other wormers, but I wouldn't recommend either of them. Wazine only kills roundworms, and Ivermectin isn't very effective due to resistant worms. You can usually get wormers from a local livestock supply store, or order them on line.

If not worms, some sort of intestinal blockage is another possibility. Did the birds that died have abnormal droppings? Do they have access to a place where they could stuff themselves with long, tough grass or foreign objects? I'd also check your Silky's crop to see if it is hard or really large/squishy. Both sour crop and impacted crop could case gradual weight loss.

One other thought is that they aren't getting enough nutrients, due to improper feed or some other problem. Do all of their beaks look okay (no crossing, etc.)? What are you feeding them?

Last edited: Aug 17, 2014
  4. jeezylolo

jeezylolo New Egg

Mar 5, 2014
    All the birds that died were young under a year and a half. I havent dewormed them ill have to try that next. I feed them layena pellets cracked corn and a omega 3 complete crumble all mixed up.

5. Handyhens

Handyhens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2014
    Kirkland, WA
    how much cracked corn is in their diet (what percentage) cracked corn is low in many nutreints.
    I also agree with bantamlover, it cold be worms

6. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

I would quit mixing cracked corn in with their feed, they don't need it and they'll waste feed digging around for the cracked corn. Or if you want to give a little scratch just toss out a couple handfuls in the run for them rather then mix with their feed.

I would also deworm them all as mentioned. That is the first thing I would suspect in birds this age with multiple deaths and weight loss. Since it's very possible that they have a heavy worm load it would be wise to deworm with Valbazen since it works slowly and won't cause a big worm die-off all at once which can cause a blockage and/or dead worm toxicity. Give each bird 0.5 cc with a needless syringe and repeat the dose in 10 days. After that consider deworming them twice a year to stay on top of worm loads.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by