Skip to the end: Penicillin Question

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by starforever61, Aug 30, 2010.

1. starforever61

starforever61 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2009
    My sex link has been egg bound for 4 days. She is approximately a year and a half old. She lays an egg every day, but 4 days ago she became lethargic and stopped pooping and laying eggs. I witnessed her excrete some nasty white stuff. She eats and drinks very very very little.

I have soaked her butt in warm water for 2 sessions of 45 minutes. She just doesn't seem to be getting better. She's my very favorite hen and the sweetest one, too.

How can I save her? I'm up for anything at this point.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2010
  2. starforever61

Aug 1, 2009
    And have you noticed that it's more common in sex links than any other bird?

3. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    I do not know for sure how to help you but I know that I have seen many threads on trying to help an egg bound hen. Try doing a search on egg bound. There are probably some other suggestions out there that could help. Good luck. [​IMG]

4. starforever61

Aug 1, 2009
    Yeah that's where I got the warm water thing from. Thank you [​IMG] But should I crack the egg? I'm just worried that will give her an infection or cut up her insides... [​IMG]

5. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    Not real sure but I know there have been many suggestions about using vegetable oil in the vent and "searching" for the stuck egg with your fingers. I don't have any idea how you do this so please try to find some other threads or maybe someone will chime in on your thread. I hope she makes it!

6. starforever61

Aug 1, 2009
    Does anyone know how long they live with an egg stuck inside of them?

7. emys

emys Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Idaho
    If you can find a vet (and if you want to pay for it) they could give her some good drugs and then they go in with a huge needle (has to be huge!) and carefully suck the egg white and yolk out through the needle. Then they wait and see if the collapsed shell can pass on its own. Anytime the shell collapses in the bird you run the risk of cuts and infection internally. I think it is clear however, if you do nothing she will die shortly. I'm so sorry I have no better help for you.

8. dmccann

dmccann Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2009
    darlington pa
    My Coop
    I had an egg bound issue,my hen is still alive. got x rays showed egg, vet was of no use. Next day i put mineral oil internal,with no needle syringe. the following day passed a lot of stuff,i started her on pen. read old posts from speckled hen and used her doseage given. She is now laying again. I do give extra cal. in water. best wishs darlene

9. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Is she egg bound or do you suspect egg peritonitis? Egg bound means there is a whole egg actually stuck. Egg peritonitis can be the start of internal laying, it's an infection from egg yolk being deposited in the abdomen, basically. If you suspect peritonitis/infection, you could give a round of penicillin injections for 3-4 days and see if that helps. Also, give her crushed up Tums as an emergency calcium measure--that has documentation to back it up, in case you've never heard of it.

10. starforever61

Aug 1, 2009
    Hmmm I'm not really sure. Does egg peritonitis stop them from pooping, too?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by