Skittish baby silkies

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Magic Birdie, Feb 4, 2013.

1. Magic Birdie

Magic Birdie Overrun With Chickens

May 3, 2011
    Magic Birdie land
    So I recently got my first chickens after four long years of wanting them and research and the such. Anyways, my baby silkies are getting pretty skittish and jumpy. They were a week old when I got them, and now they're two weeks and three days old. They get more skittish every day, though I offer food from my hand (and they always end up standing on it), and handle them every day. I doubt they were handled much in their first week with the person who hatched them, but I though they wouldn't be so jumpy. They're fine when you're holding them, but jumpy if you try to catch them in the brooder. Does anyone have any advice for how I can make them more friendly?

2. Angelight

Angelight Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 4, 2012
    2 of my 3 "polish" are like this and nothing I've done so far has helped. Subing for answers.

3. tadpole98

tadpole98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2012
    Missouri
    [​IMG] MAGIC BIRDIE FINALLY GOT HER CHICKIES!!!!! i remember you always saying how badly you wanted some :D

just keep handling them, i had seven chicks who i handled every day like that and they were so skittish and hated me so i gave up, and at a month and a half they started loving me! they still do, begging to be held and when i sit on the hay bales watching the sunset sometimes they always want to be on my lap. keep holding out hope!

4. TurtlePowerTrav

TurtlePowerTrav T.K.'s Farm

Jul 29, 2012
    Oregon City, OR
    My Coop
    Keep handling them, they go through a skittish phase. My wife's Silkies are about 10 weeks now and are just starting to come up to us in the tractor. They still squawk when you pick them up, but they settle after a few seconds.

5. Magic Birdie

Magic Birdie Overrun With Chickens

May 3, 2011
    Magic Birdie land
    Thank you everyone! :D

6. Poultrybonkers

Poultrybonkers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2011
    I find that the older they get the less jumpy they are.

7. Je33ieg

Je33ieg Out Of The Brooder

Dec 10, 2012
    Clemson, SC
    i agree with what everyone else has said. they're chicks, so everything's scary; even if you handle them daily, they will still act skittish. as they get older, they will learn to trust you and become friendlier. keep handling them and just give it time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by