1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Skittish chicken

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by joey2456, Jul 29, 2013.

1. joey2456

joey2456 In the Brooder

Jun 26, 2013
    Hello I have a easter egger hen and she is really skittish and doesn't like it when I hold her or get near her, she freaks out and makes a loud noise when I do hold her. Does anyone know what to do? Thanks for the help!

2. Percheron chick

Percheron chick Crowing

Apr 12, 2013
    Boulder, Colorado
    You just have to keep at it. I like to work with them in the evening as they have gone back in the coop and are ready for bed. Start by just scratching her without picking her up. 20-30 seconds before she starts squirming.She might protest loudly but as long as she doesn't try to get away keep at it for a reasonable amount of time. (I'm still talking less than 1 minute) Build up the amount of time as she tolerates you. Pick her up off the roost, scratch then put her back in the same spot (or you will create a chain reaction where everyone else has to fight for their rightful spot on the roost and she will be the one that gets pecked at). If she does start fighting you, hold her close with one arm over her wings so she can't flap them and the other hand holding her feet. As soon as she settles down put her down so you reward her immediately for the correct behavior.

3. joey2456

joey2456 In the Brooder

Jun 26, 2013
    Thanks a lot

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by