1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

skittish chicks..

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by missy1971, Mar 16, 2017.

1. missy1971

missy1971 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2016
    Harris County Georgia
    I have 2 buffs that are 9 weeks and very skittish, will not really let us get near them, they sometimes let us pick them up if they are on their table and i guess not threatened. the 5 week olds, are the same way, and we have socialized them, and the 3 week olds, im trying to handle them and such as much as i can. Is there anything that i can do to try and reverse this? Make them more sociable...???

2. CascadiaRiver

CascadiaRiver Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2014
    Pacific Northwest
    Food treats! ;)

3. missy1971

Dec 27, 2016
    Harris County Georgia
    Like what...i give them yogurt, but i end up having to put it on the table or the ground...[​IMG]

4. Louise Waffles

Louise Waffles Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2017
    Food is best! I do food treats, by hand. They got braver and braver, and would eventually come to take treats out of my hand. Some will never be snuggle bugs, but some will. My Buff Orp was timid at first, but now she follows me everywhere. It just takes time. And food treats.
    If you have to put it on the ground, station yourself nearby, and put it a little closer to you each time. Good luck, and have fun! :D

Last edited: Mar 17, 2017
  5. CascadiaRiver

Dec 12, 2014
    Pacific Northwest
    The like a lot of human food like rice, noodles, meats and greens like lettuce and similar. They also love scratch mix (corn, wheat, etc) and also corn on the cob! We throw out a lot of our leftovers for the birds, they also like scrambled eggs!

6. DeYoungs

DeYoungs Out Of The Brooder

Mar 7, 2017
    they love worms! [​IMG]

7. CascadiaRiver

Dec 12, 2014
    Pacific Northwest
    Mealworms too! :)

8. DeYoungs

DeYoungs Out Of The Brooder

Mar 7, 2017
    [​IMG]

9. Blooie

Blooie Team Spina Bifida Premium Member

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    When they are on their table, they are closer to eye level with you. They aren't being approached from above by big monsters coming at them from over their heads. This is all a big, new, scary, world and they have lot to learn in a short amount of time. Being an "overhead predator", which they are pre-programmed to avoid in any way possible, doesn't do much to inspire confidence.

Relax, treats at eye level whenever possible, slow easy movements, and often just sitting tight and letting them come to you will work wonders.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2017
    1 person likes this.
  10. missy1971

Dec 27, 2016
    Harris County Georgia
    Thank you all so much for the advice...I'm going to try them all!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by