skittish chicks

caliclucker

Songster
8 Years
May 1, 2011
My 3 chicks are almost 2 weeks old and terrified of any human contact. I try to hold them everyday, talk to them etc. Their brooder is in my bedroom (I'm country that way) so they see people a lot. But everytime I get close to the brooder or open it to care for them they scatter like cockroaches, peeping like crazy. Is this something they will outgrow, or am I going to have chicken chickens??

Last edited:
I would assume it is instinctive for them to be wary of large things looming over them. When I approach our brooder, there is a spot where the floor creaks. When they hear that, they all become silent and huddle down. As if, "If I don't move, you can't see me".

If I start to remove the cover, they run around peeping. Natural reactions, I'm sure.

Have you tried giving them treats out of your hand? Mine were skittish too, and still don't like to be held much, but when I started feeding them meal worms and seeds from my hand they became much more excited to see me. Sometimes I just sit with my hand in the brooder and let them climb on, and under it, they also like to peck at my wedding band. I don't try to pick them up, I just let them play, and it seems to have made them more comfortable with me.

One thing I've found lately too... Don't put your hand straight down but slide it like on an angle (the natural reaction is fear from a predator if you loom over them from straight above). But after about 3 days of doing it they get used to you!

mine r 2 weeks o.d and i have one that is like that but she got her leg hurt i am unsure how but it happend around 4 days old and she is all better now but i think sometimes that she relates human contact with having gotten hurt cus this happend like the day after i bought them.

Back
Top Bottom